Mar 17, 2011, 4:50 PM EST
She spoke to sabermetricians Bill James and John Dewan while noting that the 30 pounds Young lost last offseason didn’t actually lead to major improvement in his fielding numbers and then used her access to get comments from manager Ron Gardenhire and outfield coach Jerry White.
For all the silliness trying to pit new-school versus old-school, I’m hoping to see more mainstream writers blend the two like Smith did.
My favorite excerpt is this Gardenhire quote:
We thought he was running faster, but that just meant he was chasing the balls he missed faster.
It’d be even funnier if it weren’t so true, as Ultimate Zone Rating pegged Young as being 10 runs below average defensively last year. On the other hand White said Young “is actually a good outfielder” and “knows how to play guys.” I find it almost impossible to believe White thinks Young “is actually a good outfielder,” but the guy in charge of coaching outfield defense doesn’t have much to gain by saying otherwise.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)