Mar 17, 2011, 4:50 PM EST
She spoke to sabermetricians Bill James and John Dewan while noting that the 30 pounds Young lost last offseason didn’t actually lead to major improvement in his fielding numbers and then used her access to get comments from manager Ron Gardenhire and outfield coach Jerry White.
For all the silliness trying to pit new-school versus old-school, I’m hoping to see more mainstream writers blend the two like Smith did.
My favorite excerpt is this Gardenhire quote:
We thought he was running faster, but that just meant he was chasing the balls he missed faster.
It’d be even funnier if it weren’t so true, as Ultimate Zone Rating pegged Young as being 10 runs below average defensively last year. On the other hand White said Young “is actually a good outfielder” and “knows how to play guys.” I find it almost impossible to believe White thinks Young “is actually a good outfielder,” but the guy in charge of coaching outfield defense doesn’t have much to gain by saying otherwise.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)