Mar 18, 2011, 9:41 AM EDT
“Best shape of his life” is so last month. “I’m just working on stuff, just trying to get my work in,” is old hat. The new one — and it may not be new; I’m just noticing it now — is “we’re gonna run some more.” The Royals are saying it. The Pirates are saying it too:
One of the stated objectives for the Pirates during spring training has been to run more.
Whether it be a straight steal, taking off after a pitch hits the dirt or not breaking stride and going from first to third on a base hit to the outfield, manager Clint Hurdle has said — numerous times — this edition of the Pirates will put a heavy emphasis on taking extra bases.
And of course, this is accompanied by the essential “but we’re gonna run smart,” and “we’re gonna pick our spots” talk. Which, when the team only has a few dozen stolen bases in August, will provide the out for the manager when he’s asked whatever happened to the running game.
Notice you never hear good teams talking about wanting to run more? Notice how you never hear anyone talking about how they’re “gonna hit more homers” or “we’re gonna strike out more guys”? Stolen bases, like those things, are just as much a function of talent, but for some reason no one ever scoffs at the “we’re gonna run more” comments like they would at similar comments about home runs and strikeouts.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 17
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)