Mar 18, 2011, 10:07 PM EST
The assumption has been that Grady Sizemore won’t be ready until sometime in mid-April, so it’s not much of a surprise to learn that the Indians have officially ruled him out for Opening Day.
Indians manager Manny Acta made the announcement earlier tonight, saying there’s just “not enough time to get him ready” for the start of the season.
On a more important note, Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Sizemore tested his surgically-repaired knee by sliding earlier today. According to the Associated Press, he repeated the drill four times.
Today’s activity was a final hurdle of sorts for Sizemore, who is scheduled to get two at-bats as the designated hitter Sunday against the Diamondbacks. It will be his first taste of live game action since he injured his knee last May.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)