Mar 18, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Sticking with the movie theme this morning, Bruce Jenkins of the Chronicle is not optimistic about the upcoming adaptation of “Moneyball.” Problem? Too boring. He makes suggestions:
As the production of “Moneyball” grinds on, let’s hope the filmmakers take great liberties with the facts. Michael Lewis’ book was superbly written, but there’s nothing more boring than the A’s search for no-speed, no-defense guys who could really work a 3-and-1 count on their way to a hopeless career. Let’s watch Billy Beane as he rigs a set of explosives at the Angels’ minor-league headquarters. Let’s see Art Howe as a coke-sniffing, late-night karaoke artist who worships Otis Redding and has memorized every song by the Sons of Champlin.
That’d be an awful way to portray Art Howe, who is by all accounts a nice and decent man. Especially considering that Ron Washington was a coach on that team and could thus fulfill that role with far fewer factual liberties being taken.
Anyway, I’m torn. On the one hand I don’t see how you can make a good movie out of “Moneyball.” On the other hand, I don’t see how you can make a bad movie out of late-period Brad Pitt and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Either way, I’ll go see it.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)