Mar 18, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Sticking with the movie theme this morning, Bruce Jenkins of the Chronicle is not optimistic about the upcoming adaptation of “Moneyball.” Problem? Too boring. He makes suggestions:
As the production of “Moneyball” grinds on, let’s hope the filmmakers take great liberties with the facts. Michael Lewis’ book was superbly written, but there’s nothing more boring than the A’s search for no-speed, no-defense guys who could really work a 3-and-1 count on their way to a hopeless career. Let’s watch Billy Beane as he rigs a set of explosives at the Angels’ minor-league headquarters. Let’s see Art Howe as a coke-sniffing, late-night karaoke artist who worships Otis Redding and has memorized every song by the Sons of Champlin.
That’d be an awful way to portray Art Howe, who is by all accounts a nice and decent man. Especially considering that Ron Washington was a coach on that team and could thus fulfill that role with far fewer factual liberties being taken.
Anyway, I’m torn. On the one hand I don’t see how you can make a good movie out of “Moneyball.” On the other hand, I don’t see how you can make a bad movie out of late-period Brad Pitt and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Either way, I’ll go see it.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)