Mar 18, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Sticking with the movie theme this morning, Bruce Jenkins of the Chronicle is not optimistic about the upcoming adaptation of “Moneyball.” Problem? Too boring. He makes suggestions:
As the production of “Moneyball” grinds on, let’s hope the filmmakers take great liberties with the facts. Michael Lewis’ book was superbly written, but there’s nothing more boring than the A’s search for no-speed, no-defense guys who could really work a 3-and-1 count on their way to a hopeless career. Let’s watch Billy Beane as he rigs a set of explosives at the Angels’ minor-league headquarters. Let’s see Art Howe as a coke-sniffing, late-night karaoke artist who worships Otis Redding and has memorized every song by the Sons of Champlin.
That’d be an awful way to portray Art Howe, who is by all accounts a nice and decent man. Especially considering that Ron Washington was a coach on that team and could thus fulfill that role with far fewer factual liberties being taken.
Anyway, I’m torn. On the one hand I don’t see how you can make a good movie out of “Moneyball.” On the other hand, I don’t see how you can make a bad movie out of late-period Brad Pitt and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Either way, I’ll go see it.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)