Ichiro Suzuki donates $1.2 million to Japanese relief efforts

Mar 18, 2011, 1:18 PM EDT

Image (1) ichiro_090906-thumb-223x298-1785.jpg for post 5121

Ichiro Suzuki hasn’t talked to the media about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, but Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that he donated 100 million yen to the Red Cross’ relief efforts.

That works out to around $1.2 million, depending on the current conversion rate. According to Baker the Mariners have also announced plans to match any donations made by fans or front office staffers up to $100,000 and the team’s majority owner, the Nintendo corporation, has donated around $3.7 million.

To make a donation of your own, go to www.redcross.org.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Very cool.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 18, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Who the hell disliked this?

2. ThatGuy - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:29 PM

So the combined Mariners team is approaching (or surpassed depending on matched donations thus far) 5 million dollars. Wow, quite generious. They could afford a Luis Castillo with that money.

• easports82 - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Cause we need another light-hitting, overpaid infielder.

• jasonc2300 - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Watch it–Andy Martino still has a few race cards in his deck and he’s not afraid to play them!

3. cur68 - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:42 PM

The Seattle Mariners; Lousy baseball, wonderful commercials and some A1 class. 2 outa 3. I’m hoping for them to really improve to 3 for 3 this season.

• Reflex - Mar 18, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Your gonna be left wanting. Its a rebuilding year. Same next year. Future after that looks pretty bright, however. Especially if Jack can acquire an elite 3B prospect, which is their only real hole going forward…

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 18, 2011 at 5:59 PM

You mean “You’re”

• marinersnate - Mar 19, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Cur, you are right three times. To be competitive will most likely be two/three years down the road however.

I do think that if the M’s don’t show some big improvement (by that I mean somewhere near .500 baseball- with this roster unlikely), GM Jack Zduriencik will be gone by mid-summer. While a couple of his moves seemed borderline genius (Cliff Lee for three throwaway’s), others are just- well, head scratchers. (The most baffling of which, you as a Jay’s fan, probably already know: Brandon Morrow for Brandon League????)

But to return to the subject at hand, Ichiro is a class act. (He has been my favorite player for a decade now, but then I have an obvious bias). I don’t think that it surprises anyone in the Seattle area that Ichiro has made such generous donation. I think that we would be more surprised if he had not.

• cur68 - Mar 19, 2011 at 1:20 AM

“Brandon Morrow for Brandon League??” League can throw about 100 mph in warn to hot weather. His control is iffy, though. As such he over relies on his dead red fastball. Lotta HRs. Needs command; work the change up & splitter in his repertoire for strikes then he’ll be ok. If he adds a cutter, with his fastball speed, he’ll be amazing. He’ll make an awesome closer some day, health and command pending. Needs a steady, smart catcher to call the game. I can’t recall him ever shaking off a sign.
        As for Ichy, does anyone hate on that guy? He’s a gent, and he probably CAN hit a 100 mph tic tac. I wish with every atom of my cold, shriveled soul that he was a Blue Jay.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM

He might be my favorite baseball player ever, and that was before I saw this. Awesome stuff.

5. wkinsomnia - Mar 19, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Kind of makes you wonder why more players that make a TON more then he does don’t do stuff like this more often. Oh, that’s right…greed

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3864)