Mar 18, 2011, 6:02 AM EDT
Jim Bouton wrote a tell-all book that angered the Yankees. They kept him away from Old Timers Day for close to 30 years and, if it wasn’t for an emotional plea in the New York Times by one of his sons following the tragic death of Bouton’s daughter, they may not have even invited him back when they did.
The team is much better about letting bygones be bygones now, because Joe Torre wrote a tell-all book that angered the Yankees too, and only a couple short years later Torre will be back in pinstripes:
Joe Torre is headed back to the Bronx. No, the man who led the Yankees to four World Series titles isn’t planning a return to managing, but he revealed Thursday that he will attend his first Old-Timers’ Day on June 26 at Yankee Stadium.
“I may be letting the cat out of the bag, but I was invited back for Old-Timers’ Day,” said Torre, who stopped by Steinbrenner Field Thursday as part of his spring training tour in his new role as MLB’s executive VP for baseball operations. “I’m planning on going.”
In other news, I wasn’t aware that former managers attended Old Timers Day. Given the Yankees pre-Torre experience with turnover, that could make for a really crowded dugout.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)