Kudos to Rafael Belliard. For two reasons.

Mar 18, 2011, 2:00 PM EST

Detroit Tigers Photo Day Getty Images

There are two notable things about this article in the Detroit Free Press:

• It catches us up with former Pirates and Braves shortstop Rafael Belliard, who is friends and neighbors with Luis Salazar. Belliard passes along some encouraging words Salazar told him during a recent hospital visit; and
  • There’s a picture of Belliard — who is now an infield coach for the Tigers — showing current Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta how to field his position.

I defy anyone to look at that pic and tell me that, at least defensively speaking, you wouldn’t rather have Belliard as your shortstop — at age 49 — than Peralta right now.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 18, 2011 at 2:04 PM

J-HONNY! I kid, but I like his spelling of his name.

2. nps6724 - Mar 18, 2011 at 2:09 PM

If only Raffy could’ve hit .260. One of the best fielding SS I’ve ever seen.

• yashraba - Mar 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM

him and Rey Ordenez..sick gloves…if only they could hit

3. clydeserra - Mar 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I didn’t have to look at the picture to say that.

4. The Rabbit - Mar 18, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Raffy looked like Dark Helmet when he came to bat. His batting helmet always seemed to be three sizes too large. I loved watching him play, though.
    If memory serves, he was for a time the major league player with the most AB’s without a HR. I actually saw him hit his second and last HR. I think it was late 1997 against the Mets.

5. sfbookreviews - Mar 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Belliard was always one of my favorite Bucs, but man was he a rally killer. Happy to see him and about 100 former Pirates coaching in Detroit (either now or recently). Makes them one of my favorite AL teams just because of that.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4508)
  2. M. Kemp (3624)
  3. M. Cabrera (2864)
  4. M. Morse (2547)
  5. J. Kang (2468)
  1. J. Upton (2433)
  2. A. Rios (2162)
  3. C. Headley (2149)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1980)
  5. J. Peavy (1830)