Mar 18, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
There are two notable things about this article in the Detroit Free Press:
- It catches us up with former Pirates and Braves shortstop Rafael Belliard, who is friends and neighbors with Luis Salazar. Belliard passes along some encouraging words Salazar told him during a recent hospital visit; and
- There’s a picture of Belliard — who is now an infield coach for the Tigers — showing current Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta how to field his position.
I defy anyone to look at that pic and tell me that, at least defensively speaking, you wouldn’t rather have Belliard as your shortstop — at age 49 — than Peralta right now.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59