Mar 18, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
There are two notable things about this article in the Detroit Free Press:
- It catches us up with former Pirates and Braves shortstop Rafael Belliard, who is friends and neighbors with Luis Salazar. Belliard passes along some encouraging words Salazar told him during a recent hospital visit; and
- There’s a picture of Belliard — who is now an infield coach for the Tigers — showing current Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta how to field his position.
I defy anyone to look at that pic and tell me that, at least defensively speaking, you wouldn’t rather have Belliard as your shortstop — at age 49 — than Peralta right now.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 40
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (119)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)