Mar 18, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Yeah, this actually happened.

I’m not offended that the Dodgers had a little person in orange face dressed up like a leprechaun to sing the National Anthem before’s yesterday’s game with the Diamondbacks. But the way I see it, you gotta do one of two things here: either cut this kind of silly crap out and go with a taped, respectful orchestral performance of “The Star Spangled Banner,” or else you gotta stop making us stand up, take our hats off, put our beers down and pretend that this sort of thing is “honoring our nation.”

1. Jeremiah Graves - Mar 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM

…is he reading the lyrics off his hand?

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Yes. Yes he is.

• trevorb06 - Mar 18, 2011 at 10:40 AM

it’s a coup on america by the little people

• Panda Claus - Mar 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Christina Aguilera should’ve tried palming the anthem words too.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:11 AM

…awaiting Gator’s inevitable comment on that little tidbit…

• Old Gator - Mar 18, 2011 at 5:43 PM

You got it. This happened too: http://www.paperbackswap.com/Little-People-John-Christopher/book/165598/

2. sdelmonte - Mar 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I was treated to a long rant from a British friend of Irish ancestry about how insulting American St. Patrick’s Day is. This is Exhibit A.

• Panda Claus - Mar 18, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Our growing American tradition now collectively starts every year with a hangover from New Year’s Eve. Throughout the year we offer up excuses to get loaded in public at almost every opportunity.
      - Super Bowl/Mardi Gras in February
      - St. Patty’s Day/March Madness, green beer and basketball
      - Cinco de Mayo, offering the chance to offend another culture in May
      - Memorial Day at the end of May.
      - July 4th, fireworks and beer
      - Labor Day, the last chance to have an outdoor blast in September
      - Thanksgiving, the ultimate feasting day, where alcohol probably finishes behind the turkey.

There are still a couple of sizeable gaps in there. I’m glad no one has successfully turned Easter and Christmas into alcohol-fueled holidays (occasional spiked eggnog aside).

• Utley's Hair - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I’m on board with Easter.

But Christmas? That’s a pretty big family thing. And with family things, we all know that “you” try to get buzzed enough to dull the pain of family overexposure. Plus, you have the college kids coming home and the end of finals, etc., meaning lots of drinking. Add in New Year’s Eve, and you have quite the boozefest. Maybe it should be changed to the 12 bottles of Christmas.

3. Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 18, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Little person + orange face + white eyebrows = Oompa Loompa.

This guy is obviously an Oompa Loompa preparing for Halloween.

And reading the words from his hand.

4. Utley's Hair - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Wow…this is just so insulting on so many levels.

• cur68 - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Do you know, in Canada we don’t do this? Yep. Got beavers on the money, though. And Frosted Lucky Charms; magically delicious. Actually they taste like sugary cardboard, but I’m feeling positive.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Hehhehheh…he said beaver…hehhehheh.

Down here, unfortunately, St. Patrick’s Day is a big hire the little people so we can dress ‘em like an idiotic stereotype and laugh at them time of year.

• cur68 - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Well, my people do the get loaded on alcoholic green food coloring too, but we usually leave off with the little folks. My in laws are routinely appalled (they are from Belfast) at all this and see it as deeply insulting and an excuse to drink and mischaracterize Irish people. I gotta call my father in law ask him what he thinks of the little dude singing here. Actually I wont’. He’s a nice old guy and this will just upset him. Hey, you Philthy fans can now portray the LA fans as insensitive and culturally boorish for this one. It aint like you lot get a pukey drunk up to sing the anthem at your games yet you seem to be stuck with that image.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 18, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I’d heard that, up until recently—as in the last 20 years or so, I think—they didn’t even celebrate St. Patrick’s Day over on the Old Sod. Check with your father-in-law on the veracity of that. My family is a few generations removed from the old country.

• cur68 - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:09 PM

The old boy reports that he hasn’t been back since his old man passed (+30 years ago) and that back then it was known as “that American nonsense”. I checked with my niece who took an extended Irish holiday last year and she reports a family type carnival thing with many drunk Americans carrying on trying to pass for Irish. Since this is a Catholic thing and my in laws “dig with the other foot” (whatever the hell that means) they largely ignore it. Damn Dodgers! Giving my in laws a bad name; they oughta be ashamed…

• Utley's Hair - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Protestants have been called left footers—if only by my dad, anyway.

5. apbaguy - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:46 AM

The anthem lyrics were set to a drinking song somewhat popular around the early 1800′s. I think you have to either be really drunk or rehearsed within an inch of your life to be able to sing it properly.

6. bloodysock - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:48 AM

That guy is as orange as Snooki.

7. b7p19 - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Um, since when do Leprechauns have orange faces? Are we getting Oompa Loompas and Leprechauns mixed up?

8. proudlycanadian - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM

They have orange faces when they are protestants rather than catholics. Irish history is clouded by religion.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I hope to God that you are kidding about that. The flag is suppoaedly that way, but not idiotic stereotypes of the Irish.

9. marshmallowsnake - Mar 18, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Was Gene Wilder in attendance? Were there any Wangdoodles trying to get in the stadium? Did they pass out free snozzberries?

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto