The Mets release Luis Castillo

Mar 18, 2011, 11:01 AM EDT

Castillo_Luis

Sandy Alderson is about to have one less thing to be bewildered about.  WFAN is reporting that the Mets are about to release Luis Castillo. UPDATE: Adam Rubin says it’s done.

If true, some people will be really happy.  Jon Heyman.  Daniel Murphy, Brad Emaus and Luis Hernandez. People who won’t like it: folks who have spent a lot of times writing about whether the Mets will release Luis Castillo.

I dunno. I don’t want him to be my second baseman, but it seems like the amount of crap he’s taken over the past year has been disproportionate to the amount he has sucked. He has shown at least some signs of life here and there. No great shakes and he has had a lot of trouble staying in the lineup, of course, but I am not at all convinced that any of the Mets’ other second base options are any better than him.  His is a story of a bad contract and a couple of gaffes in high profile games.

Oh well. See you later, Luis.

1. Utley's Hair - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:15 AM

(Psst…hey, Ollie, come here a minute…Castillo was just cut—and he didn’t suck nearly as bad as you…I’m jus’ sayin’….)

2. Dan in Katonah - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I agree. I did not like him, but he was a sunk cost and had some value. But Ollie, he is just a waste of bench space and adds absolutely nothing. He better be the next one to go.

3. garryfish - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Good luck Luis, not going to be missed

4. phukyouk - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:21 AM

To louis and Ollie… Dont let the door hit ya where the good Lord Split ya!

5. BC - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:25 AM

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, baby, yeah!!!!!
    One down and one to go!!!! Let the Ketel One flow!!! (Well, not in the office) WOOOHOOOO!!!!!!

6. phukyouk - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:39 AM

BTW…. when Castillo is eventually arrested for something this will make and excellent mug shot.

• Gobias Industries - Mar 18, 2011 at 12:26 PM

EVENTUALLY arrested?! Why would you assume that he’s eventually going to be arrested? I’m sure Andy Martino has a theory.

Geez, Castillo would sooner catch a pop fly than a break from some people.

7. sdelmonte - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:45 AM

I liked him. He at least has a good attitude about the game (unlike, say, Oliver Perez) and he took his lumps after the Subway Series gaffe like an adult. It’s too bad his skills don’t equal his contract. And honestly, cutting him, paying part or most of that salary, and playing someone as weak doesn’t make sense to me.

I bet he will land as a backup someplace by Sunday, though, so he will be okay.

• jwbiii - Mar 18, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Right. If he had Alex Cora’s job (and salary) he would be considered a useful backup.

• RF Interference - Mar 18, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I too in the past have fallen victim to coming to dislike a player because a general manager paid them more than they were worth (as a Twins fan, with Nick Punto). It’s an emotional, as opposed to a reasoned response.

If a player doesn’t live up to their contract for reasons other than effort, blame needs to be assigned to the manager and/or general manager if they’re played over better in-house alternatives, no better alternatives are provided to the manager and/or they’re overpaid for their contribution to the team.

• The Rabbit - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:17 PM

“Cutting Castillo, paying part or most of that salary, and playing someone as weak doesn’t make sense to me.” Doesn’t make sense to me either. There aren’t a lot of game-changing 2nd basemen (or shortstops either), unless there is someone in the minors who is major league ready.

If you look at the offense (actual and potential) of last year’s ML 2nd basemen, you have the elite tier of Cano and a healthy Utley and a very good second tier of Pedroia before injury, Weeks, and Uggla. Prado had a good year and Kelly Johnson was better than predicted. I’m sure I forgot someone but most of the rest were interchangeable.

8. pacgnosis2 - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I know this: Castillo was a dead solid lock to be better than Luis Hernandez.

9. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:06 PM

See you in Philly red, Luis! He’ll probably hit .330 with a .400 OBP for the Phitins, while the Muts foot the bill.

• Dan in Katonah - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Damn, forgot about that.

+1 for the revenge factor. If it ever happened, can’t wait for the first home game against the Phyllises.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Works for me—as a stop-gap anyway.

10. hackerjay - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:37 PM

For the league minimum he’s going to make a nice backup for some team. It seems like the Mets dropped him just because of fan pressure, not because it was the best baseball move. Unless he’s some kind of clubhouse cancer, I haven’t really followed his career all that much.

11. dfensfelix - Mar 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM

He stunk with the Twins, he stunk with the Mets, and he’s gonna stink with the next team that picks him up.

Yet another WS run for the Giants