Mar 18, 2011, 2:14 PM EST
Carlos Guillen‘s slower than expected recovery from knee surgery has opened the door for Scott Sizemore and Will Rhymes to compete for the Tigers’ starting job at second base, but Jason Beck of MLB.com writes that Ryan Raburn has emerged as a contender for the gig as well.
Raburn has never started more than 15 games in a season at second base and his defense there would likely be pretty ugly as an everyday player, but he has logged 377 career innings at the position and brings a lot more offensive upside than Sizemore or Rhymes.
Trading defense for offense certainly isn’t a decision unique to Detroit, but I’m not sure the Tigers really need to be doing that after adding Victor Martinez to a Miguel Cabrera-led lineup that was solidly above average in 2010. By playing Jhonny Peralta at shortstop they’re already committing to one sub par middle infield glove and pairing him with Raburn could be pretty ugly for a pitching staff that induced an above-average number of ground balls last year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)