Mar 18, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
A lot of teams wear green caps and jerseys and stuff for spring training games around St. Patrick’s Day. I assumed this was hatched as a marketing thing. A way to sell more merch. It may be now, but apparently is started with a bit of a prank by Tug McGraw.
You can read the story in Paul Hagen’s column in the Philadelphia Daily News. But warning: Philly.com continues to run auto-play video on its web pages. Which, given the number of people who surf the sports pages at work, seems like a great way to get readers to avoid your content for fear of, you know, getting in trouble.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (97)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)