Mar 18, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
A lot of teams wear green caps and jerseys and stuff for spring training games around St. Patrick’s Day. I assumed this was hatched as a marketing thing. A way to sell more merch. It may be now, but apparently is started with a bit of a prank by Tug McGraw.
You can read the story in Paul Hagen’s column in the Philadelphia Daily News. But warning: Philly.com continues to run auto-play video on its web pages. Which, given the number of people who surf the sports pages at work, seems like a great way to get readers to avoid your content for fear of, you know, getting in trouble.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 3
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)