Mar 18, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
A lot of teams wear green caps and jerseys and stuff for spring training games around St. Patrick’s Day. I assumed this was hatched as a marketing thing. A way to sell more merch. It may be now, but apparently is started with a bit of a prank by Tug McGraw.
You can read the story in Paul Hagen’s column in the Philadelphia Daily News. But warning: Philly.com continues to run auto-play video on its web pages. Which, given the number of people who surf the sports pages at work, seems like a great way to get readers to avoid your content for fear of, you know, getting in trouble.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 8
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)