When baseball teams started wearing green

Mar 18, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT

Green Phillies

A lot of teams wear green caps and jerseys and stuff for spring training games around St. Patrick’s Day. I assumed this was hatched as a marketing thing. A way to sell more merch.  It may be now, but apparently is started with a bit of a prank by Tug McGraw.

You can read the story in Paul Hagen’s column in the Philadelphia Daily News. But warning: Philly.com continues to run auto-play video on its web pages. Which, given the number of people who surf the sports pages at work, seems like a great way to get readers to avoid your content for fear of, you know, getting in trouble.

1. Utley's Hair - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Philly.com sucks. Any time I go there, it slows everything to slower than a damn crawl.

• Chris Fiorentino's Rash - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:59 PM

You can install Adblock if you use firefox or chrome (not sure about IE)
      if you hold your mouse over the video, you will see a block button, hit that to keep the video from running every time you access the site.

adblock is a must have for any user, it prevents most ads and pop ups. also skips ads on some videos…

• Utley's Hair - Mar 18, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I have IE and Firefox, but the primary is IE.

• kinggeorge96 - Mar 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I actually just started doing research on this yesterday.. those vibrant ads that you scroll over make me want to pull out my (remaining) hair! Hopefully this works!

Since this is a baseball blog, and I am at work, I feel i should go try it out right now…. Thx

• Reflex - Mar 18, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Utley – Update to IE9, its a *vast* improvement. http://beautyoftheweb.com for downloadinng it(assuming this lets me put a link in my post)

• Utley's Hair - Mar 18, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Thanks, Reflex, but it’s my work PC—shhh, don’t tell my boss—and I don’t have the administrative rights.

• Reflex - Mar 18, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Sucky, it’ll take them years to update. Hate corporate IT policies.

2. clydeserra - Mar 18, 2011 at 1:55 PM

When I was a kid, I seem to remember the Dodgers doing that every St. Patricks day. I am guessing it started before 1981, as they were famously owned by the O’Malley’s for years.

3. Jonny 5 - Mar 18, 2011 at 10:15 PM

I have a green 1981 phillies throwback hat.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (1938)