You a lawyer? Wanna work for the Athletics?

Mar 18, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT

briefcase

Sticking with the Athletics theme this morning, Maury Brown alerts us to a job opening in Oakland. I don’t pass these along very often, but I know a lot of lawyers read this blog, so do with this what you will:

Under the direction and supervision of the General Counsel, the Oakland Athletics are currently seeking a full-time Counsel.  This position will assist in advising all departments and personnel on a wide range of legal issues relating to the Company’s business including all aspects of contract law and negotiation, new business endeavors, corporate organization and governance, employment/labor law and legal and business risk assessment.

Since this is the A’s, however, you ivy league, big firm attorneys who got great grades and draft perfect documents need not apply. Hiring lawyers who have mad copying and pasting skills and who killed it at their law school’s talent show during the spring of their 3L year is the new inefficiency.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Mar 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I actually had to forward this to some lawyers.

2. b7p19 - Mar 18, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Will they also be representing Coco Crisp?

3. trevorb06 - Mar 18, 2011 at 10:26 AM

There was an accouting job about half a year ago open for the KC Royals I almost threw a resume in for. Don’t know why I didn’t.

4. wintwins - Mar 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM

I would give 2 fingers/toes AND a kidney for the same job with the Twins. Unfortunately, they outsource their legal work to local firms.
    Even if they didn’t, I doubt I’d have much of a chance. I was much more like the second kind of law student Craig described… minus the talent show experience.

5. apbaguy - Mar 18, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I’m surprised the ad didn’t mention real estate law, since their stadium plans always involve some sort of multi-use, rezoning-required configuration. Bet they get plenty of resumes from little Craigs currently slaving away in Union Sq.

6. leez34 - Mar 19, 2011 at 1:12 PM