Mar 19, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Here’s some bad news for the defending World Series champions.
According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, Brian Wilson underwent an MRI this morning which revealed a “mild” strain of his left oblique muscle. Wilson told the training staff that he suffered the injury during his most recent outing on Thursday night.
While Giants manager Bruce Bochy wouldn’t definitively say that the bearded one is in doubt for Opening Day, he acknowledged that there’s some concern due to the nature of the injury.
“There’s concern, sure,” Bochy said. “Sometimes these things take longer than others. On Monday we’ll have a better idea, and then I can tell you how much concern, but sure there’s concern when it’s an oblique.
“We still have some time here. He was at a pretty good place before he injured it, how he was throwing. It’s a setback. Hopefully Monday we’ll find it it’s not too long of a setback. I know how tough and strong he is. He isn’t overly concerned.
Remember, Wilson was sidelined for the first week or so of exhibition action due to a back injury, so while relievers don’t need many appearances to get ready for the season, he needs to get some work.
Bochy told Bob Nightengale of USA Today that it’s “premature” to name a replacement for Wilson, but you’d have to figure that Sergio Romo, Santiago Casilla, Jeremy Affeldt and possibly Javier Lopez would be in the mix.
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- Bartolo Colon and Scott Feldman clear revocable waivers; eligible to be traded to any team 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)