Mar 19, 2011, 8:48 PM EST
Answering questions on Twitter Saturday, Curt Schilling said that Manny Ramirez and Barry Bonds were the best hitters he encountered during his time on the mound, but that some artificial enhancement might have helped with that.
Best modern day hitter, Manny RH Barry LH when they cheated, Gonzo LH Pujols RH of non cheaters
It’s safe to assume the Gonzalez he’s referring to is former teammate Luis Gonzalez, a player who certainly belongs in the suspicious category when it comes to steroid use. Gonzalez never hit more than 15 homers in a season until age 30. At 33, he busted out with 57 homers, a total he never approached in any other season.
Of course, Gonzalez seems like a pretty ridiculous choice even assuming that he was clean. Of left-handed batters with at least 3,000 plate appearances since 1990, he ranks 42nd with a 118 OPS+. Jim Thome, Ken Griffey Jr. and Todd Helton are just a few of the guys that blow him out of the water.
It’s also worth noting that cheating or no, Ramirez isn’t quite in Pujols’ league as a hitter. Their best seasons match up pretty well, but Pujols’ incredible consistency can’t be beat.
Other notes from Schilling:
Best gamer, videos, teammate = Pedroia, Toughest out (runner 3rd less than 2 outs?) Gwynn, Nomar = not what I expected,
Varitek, Tommy Greene hardest workers, Mirabelli, Kevin Jordan favorite teammates, San Diego favorite city to travel if I wasn’t pitching
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)