Mar 19, 2011, 10:10 AM EDT
Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Derrek Lee will make his spring debut this afternoon against the Phillies, playing first base and batting third. Orioles manager Buck Showalter said last night that Lee will likely get two or three at-bats if he feels well enough.
Lee, who signed a one-year, $7.25 million contract over the winter, was sidelined for the early part of camp recovering from offseason surgery on his right thumb. The 35-year-old first baseman dealt with soreness in his right wrist once he began taking batting practice, but an MRI earlier this month didn’t reveal anything out of the ordinary.
Lee batted .260/.347/.428 with 19 homers and 80 RBI in 626 plate appearances between the Cubs and Braves last season. Though he played better after joining Atlanta for the stretch run, his .774 OPS was his lowest since 1999 as a member of the Marlins.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights