Oliver Perez probably just made his last appearance with the Mets

Mar 19, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT

New York Mets Workout Sessions Getty Images

The end is nigh.

Oliver Perez blew up in epic fashion this afternoon against the Nationals, essentially squashing whatever minimal chance he had to make the Mets’ Opening Day roster out the bullpen.

Perez was originally expected to face left-handed batter Matt Stairs, but Nationals manager Jim Riggleman countered with the righty-hitting Jeff Frazier. In all went downhill from there, as the erratic left-hander gave up back-to-back home runs to Frazier and Brian Bixler. After recording two outs, he walked Roger Bernadina (a lefty batter) and allowed a hard-hit infield single to Danny Espinosa before being pulled from the game. And scene.

Andy Martino of the New York Daily News hears that no move will be made regarding Perez this evening, but it’s pretty clear this “experiment” is over.

As I said on Twitter earlier this afternoon, I now fully expect Perez to meet up with Victor Zambrano and form some sort of heel tag team on the independent wrestling circuit.

1. uyf1950 - Mar 19, 2011 at 6:09 PM

It’s a conspiracy. Has anyone mentioned the race aspect here. Just kidding of course that’s my dig at the Castillo blog on the 18th in Craig’s piece.

2. Jeremiah Graves - Mar 19, 2011 at 6:21 PM

What are the odds he latches on in San Diego or something, pitches lights out for the year and cons someone else into signing him to a ridiculous deal?!

• purnellmeagrejr - Mar 20, 2011 at 8:30 AM

that ship has sailed.

3. aronmantoo - Mar 19, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Ollie will be gone? Don’t pee on my leg and tell me it’s raining out…I want to see it in print

4. elmaquino - Mar 19, 2011 at 6:34 PM

How come they didn’t kick him out along with Catillo? Were the Mets just wanting to see how this start would go?

5. proudlycanadian - Mar 19, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Interesting perhaps to those few Mutts fans. In other New York baseball news, Freddy Garcia gave up 5 runs in 6 innings against the Jays. His career in New York is also in jeopardy.

6. macjacmccoy - Mar 19, 2011 at 8:56 PM

It might be wrong but I dont enjoy anything as much as I enjoy hearing about the failings of the Mets. Probably because I had to listen to Mets fans a couple of years ago tell me how great Perez, Maine, and Pelfrey were and how they were gonna dominate every one because they got Santana. Then listen to them tell me how great Reyes, Castillo, and Beltran are and how David Wright was the best player in the division. Well Reyes and Beltran cant stay healthy and are half as good as they were predicted. Pelfrey also didnt live up to his future ace label given to him by Mets fans and now would be lucky to be considered a 3rd in most rotations. Perez and Maine have been horrible and Johan Santana’s career trajectory has hit an all time low since joining the Mets. The only 1 who has came close to being what he was hyped is David Wright but he isnt the complete player Mets fans claimed him to be and hes definitely not the best player in the division. If the Wilpons had a soul they would trade away Santana and Wright at the deadline before they are completely tainted by failure which is the number 1 cause of early retirements by former Mets players. Is it wierd I just got a warm and fuzzy feeling while discussing the Mets failures?

• chrisny3 - Mar 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Over the last 5 years, the only other player in the division who has been better than Wright is Utley. And right now, I’d say only Tulo and Hanley are better SS’s than Reyes, in either league. So that’s still some pretty elite talent the Mets have.

And with Utley’s knee condition looking like it could be chronic, Wright could easily be the top performing player in the division this year.

• Ari Collins - Mar 20, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Wright COULD be the top player in the division this year, and I’m a fan, so I’m not knocking him at all, but I’d put my money on Hanley or Zimmerman first.

• chrisny3 - Mar 20, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Did I not say “could?”

I would add that Ike Davis, Heyward, and Stanton all have excellent potential to be the best players in the division this year. I wouldn’t bet on any one player.

The biggest thing going against Wright is Citi Field.

• Ari Collins - Mar 20, 2011 at 9:15 AM

No, yeah, you totally said “could”. Didn’t mean to sound like I was jumping all over you! Oh, the internet…

• chrisny3 - Mar 19, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Also, while Beltran was healthy from 2006 through 2008, he was the second best centerfielder in all of baseball. Only Sizemore was better. So I would say he was as good as advertised.

7. fatelvis77 - Mar 19, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Yes or no, the single worst free agent signing in baseball history?

• Ari Collins - Mar 19, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Plenty worse.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 20, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Um…I vote no. And I think a whole lot of people on here would say that their team has made worse signings. To Mutts fans, yes, it could possibly be one of the worst.

As for the Phightins, just in the past decade, Eaton and Garcia pretty much sucked big time. It’s all about perspective.

• Ari Collins - Mar 20, 2011 at 1:10 AM

You already know my vote for worst Phillies contract.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Ari, Ryno’s too long/much/soon contract has yet to blow up, but I don’t think it was/is the worst. Eaton takes that, with Garcia a little bit behind.

8. Old Gator - Mar 19, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Riggleman is a fool. He could have left Stairs in to strike out – and then faced Perez 18 times this year.

9. chrisny3 - Mar 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Thank you Riggleman! Though even had he not made the switches, Ollie would have gotten lit up eventually in another spring training game.

It’s been a good weekend for Mets fans. Castillo gets released. Ollie gets lit up. And Mookie gets back his number.

10. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM

You would think this is the first bad contract in MLB history. Let’s all just move on already.

11. mrznyc - Mar 20, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Sell, Fred Sell

• Ari Collins - Mar 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I don’t think anyone’s buying.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5495)