Mar 20, 2011, 12:54 PM EDT
It sounds like Pirates left-hander Joe Beimel is going to be unavailable when the Bucs’ regular season kicks off on April 1.
Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Beimel had to be scratched from a one-inning outing against the Red Sox on Sunday due to discomfort in his throwing elbow.
This discomfort isn’t new. Beimel first began feeling tightness in his forearm on March 1 and was shut down for almost two weeks. He returned for a Grapefruit League appearance on March 14 and pitched again on March 17, but he reported renewed soreness when he arrived back at Pirates camp on the morning of March 18. That soreness continues to linger.
“I’m not sure what to say about that at this point,” Beimel told the Tribune-Review on Sunday. “It’s definitely frustrating. I want to be out there pitching. But at the same time, I don’t want to push it too hard to get ready for Opening Day and have a setback and be out for a lot longer. It’s better to take care of it now and go from there.”
The Pirates signed Beimel to a minor league contract this winter that carries a potential $1.75 million salary. He turned in a 3.40 ERA and held left-handed batters to a .653 OPS in 71 appearances last season for the Rockies. When healthy and when used correctly, he can be a fairly useful bullpen tool.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)