Brad Lidge hoping to return to live games Tuesday

Mar 20, 2011, 11:27 AM EDT

Brad Lidge AP

Phillies closer Brad Lidge has not appeared in a Grapefruit League game since March 11 due to tendinitis in his right biceps muscle. The veteran right-hander will look to change that early this week.

According to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com, Lidge threw a successful bullpen session Sunday morning in Phillies camp. He fired 35 pitches and reported no issues with his arm, telling reporters that he was “very encouraged by this one.”

Lidge had been holding back in recent throwing workouts with the aim of avoiding a setback, but he let it loose Sunday with Opening Day looming and the results were positive.

“It still felt really good,” he said. “This is the step we needed to get me back into games. Now hopefully I’ll get four or five outings in. That should be enough. I feel real comfortable with everything right now, and fortunately we’ve still got a few days.”

The 34-year-old posted a healthy 2.96 ERA and 1.23 WHIP across 50 appearances last year and saved 27 games. He is fully expected to be ready for the start of the 2011 regular season.

1. Old Gator - Mar 20, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Last I heard, you got tendinitis in a tendon. Brad might be worth more to science than to the Feelies. Or maybe ingesting all those horrible horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches has something to do with it….

• Jonny 5 - Mar 21, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Brad is strange though, He’s a closer. He’s had tendinitis of his temporal lobe before. He’s got tendons where few men dare grow them. Yup, even “there”.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM

But then again, Jonny is a huge Brad Lidge fanbot.

2. whizwit - Mar 20, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Maybe you’re an asshole…

• Old Gator - Mar 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Anything is possible in a world of intersecting dimensions and universes. You might even be my stillborn evil twin. Perhaps you’re one of the bent Ayorsas, communicating through an online game of Ouija Scrabble. Sorry about that umbilical cord. Really.

More likely, though, you’re just the little bundle of spiteful thoughts, repressed frustrations and self-abasement I expelled like a gobbet of ectoplasmic phlegm during Kolinhar.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM

And what of what he said would be a legitimate reason for a comment like that? If the comment warranted that reply, have at it. But I see nothing in Gator’s comment that was anywhere near warranting a response like the one you spewed out.

• Old Gator - Mar 21, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Not that I don’t appreciate your rushing to my defense like that, Ut – wish I had had you as a bodyguard in elementary school – but hey, maybe he got ticked off at the way I treat horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches. I think I’ve seen you rise to the defense of those culinary superfund sites yourself from time to time. Feelies phans are very attached to those things – which is what happens if you let them cool when the faux cheese has oozed onto your t-shirt and you’ve dozed off in a hop-n’-barley trance on a sunny day at the park. That nevers happens with my tofu, onion and soy cheese on sprouted multigrain roll.Insult that, and you too be runnin’ back to momma with Gator gonna snap yo ass.

3. Chris Reighley - Mar 20, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Or, maybe you are just an ass….

• Utley's Hair - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that this was supposed to be in response to whizwit’s comment. If so, agreed.

If not, read my reply to whizwit.

4. Old Gator - Mar 20, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Or maybe you fell asleep in the middle of A Midsummer Night’s Dream and have just Bottomed out today. Anything, as I said, is possible when the entire universe is a garden of forking paths. Although I must admit, the idea that you were reading Shakespeare does beggar credibility, even in a world the Old Ones created as a joke. Yog Sothoth, Bubba.

5. cur68 - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Or maybe Gotor’s correct; its biceps tendon inflammation (I’m not sure at this point if the Phillthy’s medical staff know the difference). In this case its flat out WRONG to label the injury as “tendinitis in his right biceps muscle”; no such condition exists. However “tendinitis in his right biceps tendon” is correct (the tendon isn’t IN the muscle; there’s one at either end connecting the muscle to the bone). Considering that one of you seems to be an academic of some sort you’d think you’d be @ home with a simple (accurate) correction like this. Possibly you guys are too soft to post here; you don’t need to jump down a guys throat for something so trivial. Or maybe you’re just assholes.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5099)