Mar 20, 2011, 2:08 PM EDT
Carlos Beltran is working out again.
From Adam Rubin of ESPN New York comes word that the newly converted right fielder ran 100-foot sprints four times in camp on Sunday afternoon and also took batting practice. He even launched a home run off former bench coach Dave Jauss while hitting from the left side of the plate.
Beltran was given a cortisone shot in his sore left knee two days ago and remains questionable for the start of the regular season. He underwent major surgery on his right knee in January of 2010.
Beltran has only appeared in one Grapefruit League game to date and made three plate appearances. Most everyday players like to get between 60 and 70 reps against live pitching during the spring schedule.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)