Mar 20, 2011, 10:41 AM EST
Orioles first baseman Derrek Lee did not have the smoothest Grapefruit League debut on Saturday.
According to Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com, the veteran fouled a ball off his left foot in his first plate appearance of the afternoon game against the Phillies and had to undergo X-rays on Saturday night. On Sunday morning he was given an MRI.
The X-rays showed no fractures and the MRI results will probably do the same, but Lee is not in the lineup Sunday and may sit out a few more games this week while the swelling in his foot dissipates.
Lee has been slowed this spring by his ongoing recovery from right thumb surgery and also a minor wrist injury that he suffered midway through camp. He’s still aiming to be ready by Opening Day, but the lack of live at-bats that he’s seen to this point is probably a concern for Baltimore management.
The O’s inked the 35-year-old to a one-year, $7.25 million contract this winter. He finished with a .260/.347/.428 batting line, 19 home runs and 80 RBI last season across 140 games for the Cubs and Braves.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 51
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 36
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)