Mar 20, 2011, 10:41 AM EDT
Orioles first baseman Derrek Lee did not have the smoothest Grapefruit League debut on Saturday.
According to Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com, the veteran fouled a ball off his left foot in his first plate appearance of the afternoon game against the Phillies and had to undergo X-rays on Saturday night. On Sunday morning he was given an MRI.
The X-rays showed no fractures and the MRI results will probably do the same, but Lee is not in the lineup Sunday and may sit out a few more games this week while the swelling in his foot dissipates.
Lee has been slowed this spring by his ongoing recovery from right thumb surgery and also a minor wrist injury that he suffered midway through camp. He’s still aiming to be ready by Opening Day, but the lack of live at-bats that he’s seen to this point is probably a concern for Baltimore management.
The O’s inked the 35-year-old to a one-year, $7.25 million contract this winter. He finished with a .260/.347/.428 batting line, 19 home runs and 80 RBI last season across 140 games for the Cubs and Braves.
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 12
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 19
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)