Mar 20, 2011, 10:41 AM EDT
Orioles first baseman Derrek Lee did not have the smoothest Grapefruit League debut on Saturday.
According to Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com, the veteran fouled a ball off his left foot in his first plate appearance of the afternoon game against the Phillies and had to undergo X-rays on Saturday night. On Sunday morning he was given an MRI.
The X-rays showed no fractures and the MRI results will probably do the same, but Lee is not in the lineup Sunday and may sit out a few more games this week while the swelling in his foot dissipates.
Lee has been slowed this spring by his ongoing recovery from right thumb surgery and also a minor wrist injury that he suffered midway through camp. He’s still aiming to be ready by Opening Day, but the lack of live at-bats that he’s seen to this point is probably a concern for Baltimore management.
The O’s inked the 35-year-old to a one-year, $7.25 million contract this winter. He finished with a .260/.347/.428 batting line, 19 home runs and 80 RBI last season across 140 games for the Cubs and Braves.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)