Mar 20, 2011, 10:41 AM EST
Orioles first baseman Derrek Lee did not have the smoothest Grapefruit League debut on Saturday.
According to Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com, the veteran fouled a ball off his left foot in his first plate appearance of the afternoon game against the Phillies and had to undergo X-rays on Saturday night. On Sunday morning he was given an MRI.
The X-rays showed no fractures and the MRI results will probably do the same, but Lee is not in the lineup Sunday and may sit out a few more games this week while the swelling in his foot dissipates.
Lee has been slowed this spring by his ongoing recovery from right thumb surgery and also a minor wrist injury that he suffered midway through camp. He’s still aiming to be ready by Opening Day, but the lack of live at-bats that he’s seen to this point is probably a concern for Baltimore management.
The O’s inked the 35-year-old to a one-year, $7.25 million contract this winter. He finished with a .260/.347/.428 batting line, 19 home runs and 80 RBI last season across 140 games for the Cubs and Braves.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 15
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 53
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 33
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)