Mar 20, 2011, 5:49 PM EDT
According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com, they’re ready to get him active again.
Zimmerman participated in routine baseball activities on Sunday in Nats camp and reported no lingering pain or discomfort. He will probably do a similar workout Monday and Tuesday before possibly returning to Grapefruit League action after the club’s designated Wednesday off-day.
Nationals skipper Jim Riggleman spoke Sunday afternoon with Ladson and MLB.com about when he might be able to get Zimmerman back in the daily lineup. To put it plainly, the veteran manager didn’t have a whole lot of answers:
“I’m just going to listen to the trainers on that one. They will tell me when to use him.”
Zimmerman drew some MVP votes last year after posting an .899 OPS and 25 home runs across 525 at-bats. He’ll be grouped with Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche in the heart of the D.C. batting order this season.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)