Mar 20, 2011, 5:49 PM EDT
According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com, they’re ready to get him active again.
Zimmerman participated in routine baseball activities on Sunday in Nats camp and reported no lingering pain or discomfort. He will probably do a similar workout Monday and Tuesday before possibly returning to Grapefruit League action after the club’s designated Wednesday off-day.
Nationals skipper Jim Riggleman spoke Sunday afternoon with Ladson and MLB.com about when he might be able to get Zimmerman back in the daily lineup. To put it plainly, the veteran manager didn’t have a whole lot of answers:
“I’m just going to listen to the trainers on that one. They will tell me when to use him.”
Zimmerman drew some MVP votes last year after posting an .899 OPS and 25 home runs across 525 at-bats. He’ll be grouped with Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche in the heart of the D.C. batting order this season.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)