Mar 20, 2011, 5:49 PM EST
According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com, they’re ready to get him active again.
Zimmerman participated in routine baseball activities on Sunday in Nats camp and reported no lingering pain or discomfort. He will probably do a similar workout Monday and Tuesday before possibly returning to Grapefruit League action after the club’s designated Wednesday off-day.
Nationals skipper Jim Riggleman spoke Sunday afternoon with Ladson and MLB.com about when he might be able to get Zimmerman back in the daily lineup. To put it plainly, the veteran manager didn’t have a whole lot of answers:
“I’m just going to listen to the trainers on that one. They will tell me when to use him.”
Zimmerman drew some MVP votes last year after posting an .899 OPS and 25 home runs across 525 at-bats. He’ll be grouped with Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche in the heart of the D.C. batting order this season.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (314)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)