Mar 20, 2011, 5:49 PM EDT
According to Bill Ladson of MLB.com, they’re ready to get him active again.
Zimmerman participated in routine baseball activities on Sunday in Nats camp and reported no lingering pain or discomfort. He will probably do a similar workout Monday and Tuesday before possibly returning to Grapefruit League action after the club’s designated Wednesday off-day.
Nationals skipper Jim Riggleman spoke Sunday afternoon with Ladson and MLB.com about when he might be able to get Zimmerman back in the daily lineup. To put it plainly, the veteran manager didn’t have a whole lot of answers:
“I’m just going to listen to the trainers on that one. They will tell me when to use him.”
Zimmerman drew some MVP votes last year after posting an .899 OPS and 25 home runs across 525 at-bats. He’ll be grouped with Jayson Werth and Adam LaRoche in the heart of the D.C. batting order this season.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)