Padres claim righty Pat Neshek off waivers from Twins

Mar 20, 2011, 3:13 PM EST

Boston Red Sox v Minnesota Twins Getty Images

Pat Neshek did his own reporting on this one.

According to the sidearming right-hander’s Twitter account, the Twins put Neshek on outright waivers Sunday and he was quickly claimed by the Padres.

The 30-year-old was a highly reliable setup man for Minnesota from 2006-2007, boasting a 2.68 ERA and a 127/33 K/BB ratio over 107-plus innings, but he underwent Tommy John surgery in November of 2008 and wasn’t able to climb back up the depth chart.

Neshek had a minor league option left, but the Twins opted to remove him from the 40-man roster and give him a fresh start elsewhere. Twins general manager Bill Smith called it a “good opportunity for him,” according to new MLB.com beat writer Rhett Bollinger.

Because of the spacious confines of PETCO Park, San Diego can be a wonderful place for pitchers who are looking for a career turnaround. Neshek should do well in a middle relief role if he can stay healthy.

1. proudlycanadian - Mar 20, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Slow news day???

• proudlycanadian - Mar 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM

In other news, Jesse Litsch of the Jays shut out the Twins over 5.33 innings today. Not known as a strikeout pitcher, he struck out 7 Twins. After 2 injury plagued seasons, Litsch appears to have won the #5 starter’s job with the Jays.

2. mplsjoe - Mar 20, 2011 at 8:07 PM

I’d like more info on the money situation here. Neshek had an option left and could have been sent to AAA for the year. I get that there’s no trade value here. But why give up on him entirely when he could go to AAA?

• dfensfelix - Mar 20, 2011 at 8:58 PM

The “official” reason they gave was that they wanted to give him an opportunity to pitch for a bullpen spot in San Diego. Meanwhile, the Twins are keeping Jose “The Hit Machine” Mijares, which absolutely blows my mind. I’d rather see a diminished Neshek on the mound than Mijares any day. Oh well, good luck in SD Pat…

• undeadjesus - Mar 20, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Wouldn’t Capps be the logical choice to take over as setup man instead of Mijares?

• mplsjoe - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I kept seeing that garbage about doing Neshek a favor too. Makes no sense to me. MLB teams don’t do thinga altruisticly. Even if Neshek wasn’t going to make the big club – which I’m fine with, he wasn’t great this spring – the only reason to put him on waivers rather than simply option him was to save $650K.

If they had a plan for that $650K, or a plan for that open 40-man roster spot, I’d be OK with this. But it looks like they just cheaped out.

3. BC - Mar 21, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Odd. Unless he’s not healthy. Guy was pretty darn effective before hosing up his arm.

4. trevorb06 - Mar 21, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I always liked Neshek in his short tenure with the big club here in MN. I just wish that arm had stayed working but with the way that guy pitched I’m amazed he has an arm still. Good luck in Petco Neshek, I’ll watch some late innings of Padres games just to see you pitch if you make it!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester