Mar 20, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
Troubling news here for the White Sox.
According to Mark D. Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune, right-hander Jake Peavy has been diagnosed with rotator cuff tendinitis and might not be able to make his scheduled Cactus League start Thursday against the Cubs.
If he’s unable to make that outing, the White Sox will probably also scratch him from his first scheduled start of the regular season, April 6 in Kansas City.
Peavy was a bit behind the other Chicago pitchers when spring training began because he was still in recovery mode from July surgery to repair a detached latissimus dorsi muscle. He told reporters Sunday that his current rotator cuff issues have nothing to do with that procedure, but he also admitted that the discomfort has been with him since his March 6 debut.
Here’s a quote from Peavy gathered Sunday afternoon by Scott Merkin of MLB.com:
“I’m not going to sit here and say it’s a setback because we don’t know what it is yet,” said Peavy, “but certainly things have slowed down.”
If Peavy isn’t ready when camp breaks, look for 28-year-old Philip Humber to draw a few early season starts.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 47
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 34
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)