Mar 20, 2011, 10:49 PM EDT
World-renowned Castillo hater Jon Heyman naturally hates the move and an awful lot of Phillies fans seem to agree, but given the injuries to Chase Utley and Placido Polanco they can certainly use some infield depth and as non-guaranteed, $400,000 investments go Castillo is a perfectly reasonable pickup.
He’s a shell of the player Omar Minaya traded for and then signed to a four-year, $25 million deal and the deterioration of Castillo’s once-excellent speed has magnified his career-long lack of power, but last season he drew more walks (39) than strikeouts (25) while posting a .337 on-base percentage that was solidly above the NL average of .328 and got on base at a .366 clip during his entire four-year run with the Mets.
There are far worse backup infielders and the Phillies currently have Wilson Valdez penciled into the Opening Day lineup despite his career-high offensive numbers being no better than Castillo’s worst. If the Phillies deem Castillo washed up they can cut bait and essentially be out nothing while the Mets pay him $1 million a month. And if he still has a little gas left in the tank, they added some solid infield depth at basically no cost.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 13
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 71
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 30
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)