Mar 21, 2011, 1:48 PM EDT
It started, like many things do, with me mocking my mother on Twitter, but this time my followers turned the tables on me.
Every time my mom is in my house alone she takes the ketchup container off the kitchen counter and puts it in the refrigerator. Initially that seemed crazy to me, but it turns out I’m apparently in the minority by not refrigerating my ketchup. I’ve always been something of a rebel, so this isn’t that surprising.
On the ketchup container it says “for best results refrigerate after opening,” but a) that clearly implies refrigeration is not a must, and b) perhaps I prefer slightly less than peak results from my condiments. I am, after all, a rebel.
Other considerations in The Great Ketchup Debate of 2011, as it will come to be known in the history books:
1) Cold ketchup is pretty gross, especially on hot food.
2) Most restaurants don’t refrigerate ketchup, although admittedly they go through the stuff a lot quicker than one solitary fatso blogger.
3) Ketchup at ballparks sits out in the sun all day and the death toll has been relatively minimal (this isn’t so much a legitimate consideration as it is a lame attempt to incorporate some aspect of baseball into the post.)
4) I’ve posted more than 5,000 tweets on Twitter and no topic has ever generated this much response, which is either fantastic or really sad.
5) This whole thing is going to be incredibly funny when I die from some sort of ketchup-related illness later this week. I hope someone records my mom’s eulogy and sends it to me in hell.
In the meantime, though, what say you, HBT Nation? Refrigerate or not?
UPDATE: Craig has chimed in with his opinion on the topic, in picture form. However, given the presence of Gatorade in the same refrigerator I’d say his opinion can be ignored.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 2
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 1
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 10
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)