Mar 21, 2011, 8:23 PM EDT
According to Steve Popper of the Bergen Record, Carlos Beltran could be the designated hitter in a minor league game tomorrow.
Beltran took limited batting practice from both sides of the plate Monday, so the Mets will see how his knee responds tomorrow. Even if he plays, the Mets plan to use a pinch-runner for him if he gets on base, so it doesn’t sound like he’s ready to run at full speed quite yet.
Popper writes that the Mets have Beltran penciled in for three games this spring, but I’d very surprised if any of them were in the Grapefruit League. If they keep him in minor league games only, they could backdate a potential DL-stint and have him back as soon as the second series of the season against the Phillies. Of course, expecting him back that soon might be a tad on the optimistic side.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 79
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 221
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)