Mar 21, 2011, 8:23 PM EDT
According to Steve Popper of the Bergen Record, Carlos Beltran could be the designated hitter in a minor league game tomorrow.
Beltran took limited batting practice from both sides of the plate Monday, so the Mets will see how his knee responds tomorrow. Even if he plays, the Mets plan to use a pinch-runner for him if he gets on base, so it doesn’t sound like he’s ready to run at full speed quite yet.
Popper writes that the Mets have Beltran penciled in for three games this spring, but I’d very surprised if any of them were in the Grapefruit League. If they keep him in minor league games only, they could backdate a potential DL-stint and have him back as soon as the second series of the season against the Phillies. Of course, expecting him back that soon might be a tad on the optimistic side.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)