Mar 21, 2011, 8:23 PM EDT
According to Steve Popper of the Bergen Record, Carlos Beltran could be the designated hitter in a minor league game tomorrow.
Beltran took limited batting practice from both sides of the plate Monday, so the Mets will see how his knee responds tomorrow. Even if he plays, the Mets plan to use a pinch-runner for him if he gets on base, so it doesn’t sound like he’s ready to run at full speed quite yet.
Popper writes that the Mets have Beltran penciled in for three games this spring, but I’d very surprised if any of them were in the Grapefruit League. If they keep him in minor league games only, they could backdate a potential DL-stint and have him back as soon as the second series of the season against the Phillies. Of course, expecting him back that soon might be a tad on the optimistic side.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (86)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (82)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (75)