Mar 21, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
Casey Blake went for an MRI exam on his injured back last week and the Dodgers said they expected him to miss minimal time, but today manager Don Mattingly indicated to Tony Jackson of ESPNLA.com that the veteran third baseman is likely to begin the season on the disabled list.
Blake didn’t get many at-bats before the injury and only has 10 days left to see some game action now, although he hasn’t been cleared to return to the lineup yet anyway.
Juan Uribe is slated to start at second base after signing a three-year, $21 million deal this offseason, but he’ll likely slide over to third base until Blake returns and utility man Jamey Carroll will take his place at second base.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)