Mar 21, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Atkins is just one season removed from being paid $4.5 million by the Orioles, but that was a terrible signing last winter and he appeared in all of 44 games before Baltimore cut bait.
This offseason he managed only a minor-league deal and couldn’t even claim a bench spot on one of the worst teams in baseball, which says the 31-year-old might be just about finished. He hit .129 this spring.
He hit .329 with 29 homers and 120 RBIs in 2006, but Atkins’ production has steadily declined since then and only Coors Field kept that from becoming more obvious sooner. He may still have enough left in the tank to make it back in the majors as a bench bat or platoon player, but Atkins will likely have to prove himself at Triple-A first.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)