Mar 21, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
More evidence that we need to suspend spring training and start games now: guys plunking one-another in spring training games, possibly on managers’ orders.
Adam Kilgore has the description of the scene from Jupiter, where Cardinals reliever Miguel Batista hit Ian Desmond for no apparent reason, at least within the context of this game. Kilgore believes it may have been over an incident between the clubs last summer. Apparently Jim Riggleman yelled at Tony La Russa after the Desmond plunk, basically arguing that he thought everyone was even already.
Kilgore suggests that Batista may have made the Cardinals roster today as a result of the plunking. He doesn’t put so fine a point on it, but I take it to mean that he believes this was a La Russa-ordered plunking. Or at least a La Russa-suggested one. As has been reported, Batista is on the bubble with respect to making the team. A guy in that position neither rocks the boat with attitudinal freelancing nor does he ignore a direct order from his Genius manager.
If so: low rent move by La Russa. Guys throwing at one-another for vendettas both real or imagined is dumb as it is, but doing it in relaxed and — competitively speaking — consquence-free spring training games with guys who are desperate to impress just makes it all unseemly.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 8
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 160
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (161)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)