Mar 21, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
More evidence that we need to suspend spring training and start games now: guys plunking one-another in spring training games, possibly on managers’ orders.
Adam Kilgore has the description of the scene from Jupiter, where Cardinals reliever Miguel Batista hit Ian Desmond for no apparent reason, at least within the context of this game. Kilgore believes it may have been over an incident between the clubs last summer. Apparently Jim Riggleman yelled at Tony La Russa after the Desmond plunk, basically arguing that he thought everyone was even already.
Kilgore suggests that Batista may have made the Cardinals roster today as a result of the plunking. He doesn’t put so fine a point on it, but I take it to mean that he believes this was a La Russa-ordered plunking. Or at least a La Russa-suggested one. As has been reported, Batista is on the bubble with respect to making the team. A guy in that position neither rocks the boat with attitudinal freelancing nor does he ignore a direct order from his Genius manager.
If so: low rent move by La Russa. Guys throwing at one-another for vendettas both real or imagined is dumb as it is, but doing it in relaxed and — competitively speaking — consquence-free spring training games with guys who are desperate to impress just makes it all unseemly.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)