Mar 21, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
More evidence that we need to suspend spring training and start games now: guys plunking one-another in spring training games, possibly on managers’ orders.
Adam Kilgore has the description of the scene from Jupiter, where Cardinals reliever Miguel Batista hit Ian Desmond for no apparent reason, at least within the context of this game. Kilgore believes it may have been over an incident between the clubs last summer. Apparently Jim Riggleman yelled at Tony La Russa after the Desmond plunk, basically arguing that he thought everyone was even already.
Kilgore suggests that Batista may have made the Cardinals roster today as a result of the plunking. He doesn’t put so fine a point on it, but I take it to mean that he believes this was a La Russa-ordered plunking. Or at least a La Russa-suggested one. As has been reported, Batista is on the bubble with respect to making the team. A guy in that position neither rocks the boat with attitudinal freelancing nor does he ignore a direct order from his Genius manager.
If so: low rent move by La Russa. Guys throwing at one-another for vendettas both real or imagined is dumb as it is, but doing it in relaxed and — competitively speaking — consquence-free spring training games with guys who are desperate to impress just makes it all unseemly.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)