Mar 21, 2011, 12:14 PM EDT
Last week Ichiro Suzuki donated $1.2 million to the Japanese relief efforts and now Hideki Matsui has joined him, donating around $600,000 to the Red Cross.
Matsui’s official donation is 50 million yen (Ichiro’s was 100 million yen), which works out to about $620,000 based on the current conversion rate and represents around 15 percent of his 2011 salary.
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle notes that Matsui previously also donated 50 million yen following the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004 and 10 million yen after a smaller 2007 earthquake in Japan.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)