Joe Maddon has a racist fan ejected from yesterday’s Rays-O’s game

Mar 21, 2011, 10:04 AM EST

maddon

The beauty of spring training is that the ballparks are so cozy and intimate that you can hear conversations going in in the stands. That is also the curse. Marc Topkin of the St. Pete Times:

Rays manager Joe Maddon summoned security to remove a fan – wearing an Orioles jersey – who he said was yelling racist comments at CF B.J. Upton in the dugout duing Sunday’s game at Charlotte Sports Park.

“He said something racial and I didn’t like it,’’ Maddon said. “He can say whatever he wants, but don’t go there. And I didn’t want B.J. to go up into the stands or do anything at that point. So I just wanted to make sure he was taken out of there. There is no room for that at all.’’

A man who said he was the ejected fan went on Twitter later Sunday, claiming Maddon lied and he said nothing racial.

Topkin, however, reports that Maddon, Upton and multiple Rays’ coaches did too.  I’m not exactly sure why Maddon would lie about such a thing. If you gave me a list of 300 major league managers and asked me which one would be most likely go after a rude but not racist heckler, I figure Maddon would be around my 299th or 300th choice. Say what you want about him, but being distracted by petty stuff is not really his m.o.

Everyone has First Amendment rights. Not everyone has carte blanche to exercise them to their fullest extent on private property.  Good for Maddon for having a total jackwagon run out of the joint.

1. BC - Mar 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Assuming Maddon’s account is true, good for him. And good for him, Upton and others for not going into the stands and pummeling the guy, even if he deserved it, and handling it in the right manner. Get the low-life out of there and move on. Hopefully the dude got popped for DUI on the way home. Chipwich.

2. Jonny 5 - Mar 21, 2011 at 10:26 AM

One thing I hate at a game is someone heckling in a nasty manner. You know, cursing, using nasty names, etc. There are always children around you a holes!

• Old Gator - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Children are horrible.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Your kid(s?) must be so proud.

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Rhetorical question: “Do you like children?”

OG: “I do if they’re properly cooked”.

• BC - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:31 AM

A little cursing is permissable and expected. Not saying it’s right, but you get some rabid fans and throw in a little alcohol, and it happens. Everyone drops an f bomb once in a while. But going racial in your remarks or throwing stuff on the field or picking fights and stuff like that is out of line, and if someone does that, they deserve everything that’s coming to them and more. There’s no need. Boo the other team and call them jerks or whatever, but there’s no place in ruining the experience for everyone else around you.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Oh I agree, but the first time I have to explain to my kid what a ______ (enter racial slur) is, because some guy is shouting it within earshot, well let’s just say he’s going to get a mean and nasty stare from me alright…. Really Mean and nasty, like.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I’ll bet that stare will have him quaking in his steel-toed black combat boots.

• BC - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I agree with you. There’s no place for racial stuff, period. If someone drops an f-bomb or an s-bomb, well, that happens, it’s not right, but it does happen, and your kid’s going to hear that eventually and hopefully raised in such a way that he/she knows swear words for what they are. But racial or hateful stuff? No way. I don’t have kids, but I also don’t want to sit through a game listening to a classless doofus spewing hateful venom. Drop an f-bomb or two, and don’t go crazy, that I can live with. Start with the venom, and you’re outta here, one way or another. In my younger days I worked in a bar, and the minute we heard anything along those lines, the patron in question would be becoming one with the sidewalk outside the bar, face first. There’s no place for that. If you feel the need to spew venom, spew it at home where no one can hear you.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM

UT, My stare can kill and maim, don’t you know… oh yes, maim and kill..

It can also hypnotize cobras and seduce women just as an FYI…..

3. Dan in Katonah - Mar 21, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Joe Maddon is fantastic. Good for him. Security should be sure to help pick up that fan as he “accidentally” falls a couple of times on the way out of the stadium.

4. hermitfool - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Is there another manager working today who would have done the same thing? Suggestions, anyone?

• BC - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Girardi would. Heck, he told his owner where to stick it when he was heckling him from the stands with the Feesh. I don’t think he’d back down from anyone. Scioscia either, he’s a tough bird and doesn’t take any bleep.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Chuck might—though it would be difficult to know that he did say something about it.

• BC - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Or if he DID say anything, would you be able to understand it anyway?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:20 PM

That was my point. Am I typing in Chollese? It’s Monday, so I might be. Rainy days and Mondays really get me down. But rainy Mondays? Well, they take the cake. Mmmm…caaaaaake….

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Funny, Ut, cake doesn’t have me humming vapid Carpenter’s songs. Try Duncan Hines next time.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Don’t blame the cake. It’s just stuck in my head now. Damn. 70s. Pop. Music!!!!!!

• henryd3rd - Mar 21, 2011 at 2:25 PM

That owner was Jeffrey Loria and he was heckling the umpiring crew and Joe to his credit told him to cool it. Plus that Loria is a jerk and he fired Joe at the end of that season in spite of Joe receiving the National League Manager of the Year Award at the end of that season. Two managers later the Fish are still swimming upstream against the current in the National league.

• Old Gator - Mar 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Ackcherley, the general consensus here in Macondo is that, once he got to know Scrooge McLoria a little bit, Girardi treated him with thinly disguised contempt pretty much all season long. He would walk past Scrooge’s office and Scrooge would call him in without getting up from his desk, and Girardi would pretend not to hear and keep on walking. Stuff like that. Girardi knew that the Feesh under Scrooge weren’t no keeper anyway, and that he’d be ascending the tractor beam of fate to the Borg starship sooner or later. So we got Fat Freddi, Edwin the Gray, had a near-miss with Bobby V and – though not sure how close that particular nemesis meteor came to striking Macondo – we may almost have gotten Ozzie the Hutt. This is one of those rare times when, Trotskyite that I am, I thank Buddha for the status quo.

• startedin67 - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Terry Francona

• BC - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Francona doesn’t take any bleep either. Good call.

• cur68 - Mar 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Before he became retired to move into the front office; Cito Gaston. Low hanging fruit, that.

• bigdicktater - Mar 21, 2011 at 8:16 PM

I’m pretty sure LaRussa would have had someone beanball the a-hole.

5. trevorb06 - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Vulgar, racist red necks… Just what happens when the cousins breed with the cousins down south.

Good job Joe Maddon!

• Utley's Hair - Mar 21, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Wow…you ALMOST made it. You ALMOST did it. Damn…so close…. It’s a pity, really. Damn.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:00 PM

LOL!!!! Fighting fire with fire? Or is that eye for an eye justice??

• trevorb06 - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Sarcasm and eye for eye justice. :-)

• nyyfaninbama - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:13 PM

You are no better than the guy in the stands, in fact, you are worse as he was likely alcohol impaired at the time. I am southern and I’ve never known any cousins to “breed.” We also have electricity and indoor plumbing. We don’t have many snow blowers or shovels. Southerners are too smart to live where you have to use those implements.

• trevorb06 - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:31 PM

But are you a racist? I’m not saying anything bad about you, I’m saying it about the racists. And wow, take a joke you sensitive little whiner. Move up north, use a shovel and learn something. :-)

• seattlej - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM

But obviously you’re not smart enough to not be a yankees fan… and you’re not even in NY! What is wrong with you? You do know that there are a couple of perfectly good baseball teams in the south, right?

• The Baseball Idiot - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:25 PM

What exactly is your definition of a ‘redneck’? I’ve been called one quite a bit, but I would never use racial slurs against anyone else. Especially considering I have family members who are multi-racial.

How do you complain about someone using racist remarks, and then go and accuse them of being a stereotype?

Bigotry is ignorance. So are a lot of other things.

• wickedworld123 - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM

LOL…right over everyone’s head…

• trevorb06 - Mar 21, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Obviously. I slam a racist with some clean humor and I’m the bad guy here. I’m not saying anything about about southerners, just joking around about the ridiculous, stereotypical racists.

6. iwishiwasindc - Mar 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I’m sure no one in Bawston EVER uttered a racial slur…..

7. huskerguy - Mar 21, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I am not sure which one is worse anymore: Going to an MLB game and hearing some dumb drunk say words my 9 year old shouldn’t hear yet or listening to the parents in the stand at his little league game.

8. jobooo - Mar 21, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Craig, you need to cool it with the “jackwagon” nonsense. It’s a meaningless and empty attempt at clever wordplay by some marketing drone. The commercial – that entire ad campaign – is weak, and you’re better than that.

Yes, I’m taking it too seriously.

9. ta192 - Mar 21, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Guess the fan wasn’t a Ray-cist…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester