Mar 21, 2011, 12:39 PM EDT
I’ve been ranting about the Barry Bonds trial for years now. Starting today we’ll see lots of people ranting about it. I predict that there will be all kinds of zany things said. On one extreme we’ll hear how Barry Bonds is and should be public enemy number one. On another, I’m sure someone will say that the prosecution is a racist conspiracy or something. I’d guess about 90% of it is going to be ugly and dumb.
Then, of course, there’s Posnanski, who pretty much nails it as always:
… on the one hand you have someone who is probably lying — and obviously we should not stand for people lying to grand juries. On the other, you have what seems an extreme use of government power and money and shaky methods to nail him for this lie. Supposedly at some point during this trial we are going to get a spurned girlfriend telling the court all about Barry Bonds’ sex life and mood swings. The whole thing feels unseemly.
And … for what? I have seen it written in numerous places that this trial will help us “get to the bottom” of the Selig Era in baseball. But, one thing that seems absolutely certain to me is that this won’t help us get to the bottom of anything.
Posnanski says that he hates that the case is happening and that he doesn’t want either side to win. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want to see the defense win, but it’s not because of who the defendant is. I agree: screw Bonds, generally speaking. My rooting interest in the defense is detached from Bonds personally. It’s more about rooting that the prosecution loses as penalty for their own trespasses and overreach.
Anyway, great stuff as always from Posnanski.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)