Mar 21, 2011, 12:39 PM EDT
I’ve been ranting about the Barry Bonds trial for years now. Starting today we’ll see lots of people ranting about it. I predict that there will be all kinds of zany things said. On one extreme we’ll hear how Barry Bonds is and should be public enemy number one. On another, I’m sure someone will say that the prosecution is a racist conspiracy or something. I’d guess about 90% of it is going to be ugly and dumb.
Then, of course, there’s Posnanski, who pretty much nails it as always:
… on the one hand you have someone who is probably lying — and obviously we should not stand for people lying to grand juries. On the other, you have what seems an extreme use of government power and money and shaky methods to nail him for this lie. Supposedly at some point during this trial we are going to get a spurned girlfriend telling the court all about Barry Bonds’ sex life and mood swings. The whole thing feels unseemly.
And … for what? I have seen it written in numerous places that this trial will help us “get to the bottom” of the Selig Era in baseball. But, one thing that seems absolutely certain to me is that this won’t help us get to the bottom of anything.
Posnanski says that he hates that the case is happening and that he doesn’t want either side to win. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want to see the defense win, but it’s not because of who the defendant is. I agree: screw Bonds, generally speaking. My rooting interest in the defense is detached from Bonds personally. It’s more about rooting that the prosecution loses as penalty for their own trespasses and overreach.
Anyway, great stuff as always from Posnanski.
- The Home Run Derby is a boring anachronism. Let’s replace it with something fun. 10
- Greetings from All-Star week in Minneapolis 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 8
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 51
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 39
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 5
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)