Mar 21, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT
There’s probably more mileage left talking about this guy than there is in his left arm.
Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that “Yankees people” have discussed Oliver Perez as a cheap sign. Though, for what it’s worth, Heyman writes that Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is “not enthused” about the idea. I’m almost rooting for this to happen, just to hear Cashman tells us how much he hates it.
The Mets released Perez earlier today and still owe him $12 million for this season, so any team could bring him aboard on the cheap. The Yankees are hurting for starting pitching, but opposed to Luis Castillo, Perez looks like a lost cause. No velocity, no control, no chance.
Heyman speculates that Arizona could be the best fit and it’s actually not a bad idea. Remember, Kevin Towers signed Perez to his first contract when he was general manager of the Padres.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (121)