Mar 21, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT
There’s probably more mileage left talking about this guy than there is in his left arm.
Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that “Yankees people” have discussed Oliver Perez as a cheap sign. Though, for what it’s worth, Heyman writes that Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is “not enthused” about the idea. I’m almost rooting for this to happen, just to hear Cashman tells us how much he hates it.
The Mets released Perez earlier today and still owe him $12 million for this season, so any team could bring him aboard on the cheap. The Yankees are hurting for starting pitching, but opposed to Luis Castillo, Perez looks like a lost cause. No velocity, no control, no chance.
Heyman speculates that Arizona could be the best fit and it’s actually not a bad idea. Remember, Kevin Towers signed Perez to his first contract when he was general manager of the Padres.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 2
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)