Mar 21, 2011, 6:53 PM EST
There’s probably more mileage left talking about this guy than there is in his left arm.
Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that “Yankees people” have discussed Oliver Perez as a cheap sign. Though, for what it’s worth, Heyman writes that Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is “not enthused” about the idea. I’m almost rooting for this to happen, just to hear Cashman tells us how much he hates it.
The Mets released Perez earlier today and still owe him $12 million for this season, so any team could bring him aboard on the cheap. The Yankees are hurting for starting pitching, but opposed to Luis Castillo, Perez looks like a lost cause. No velocity, no control, no chance.
Heyman speculates that Arizona could be the best fit and it’s actually not a bad idea. Remember, Kevin Towers signed Perez to his first contract when he was general manager of the Padres.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 33
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)