Mar 21, 2011, 1:15 PM EDT
Of course, the Royals being the Royals they don’t really have any clearly better options.
Jeff Francis, Kyle Davies, and Bruce Chen will follow Hochevar in the rotation and Vin Mazzaro has won the final spot, but he’ll begin the season at Triple-A because the Royals won’t need a fifth starter for a couple weeks.
If healthy Francis is a pretty good bet to emerge as the Royals’ best starter this season, but that isn’t really saying much. Starting a guy with a 5.60 ERA on Opening Day and it not being a particularly crazy decision is a big part of why the Royals are very capable of losing 95-plus games for a fourth straight season. Their lineup has a chance to be pretty decent, but the pitching staff is going to be ugly.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)