Mar 21, 2011, 8:31 AM EDT
We’ve seen this coming all spring and, actually, I’m kind of surprised it took this long. Oliver Perez has been released.
His last outing as a Met came on Saturday against the Nationals, and it was pretty much standard-issue Oliver Perez: back-to-back home runs to a couple of anonymous hitters, a two-out walk to a lefty — when getting lefties out was his only hope of survival on the Mets — and then a single before getting the hook.
Oliver Perez may or may not catch on with another team — it’s hard to kill a lefty — but no matter what he does, he’ll make $12 million this year, so let us not weep for him. At the same time, let us at least warmly acknowledge the Mets’ new willingness in the Sandy Alderson era to recognize a sunk cost and the value of a roster spot.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 19
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 109
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 163
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (163)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (109)