Mar 22, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
Apparently Luis Castillo’s failure to report to the Phillies this morning was a misunderstanding. He thought he had all day today to report rather than to report in time to play in today’s game. Buster Olney says that he had some personal matters to attend to as well. It’s not like he blew the Phillies off.
Be that as it may, Charlie Manuel — while saying that he’s not upset — seems somewhat ticked about it. Todd Zolecki transcribed Manuel’s comments to the media about it earlier this morning — read it here — and says that Manuel “sounded agitated.” The blurb that has been tweeted around was Manuel saying that if it was him in Castillo’s shoes that he “would have been here two days ago.” The more telling thing to me is this:
I was told he’d be here today and I put him in the lineup. And the reason I put him in the lineup is because I wanted to see him play. Maybe I should wait and put my lineup in right at game time. That seems to work better.
It’s not a personal thing or a swipe at Castillo’s work ethic. Manuel seems content to leave that to others. Rather, it’s about a manager who has a hole to fill at second base and limited time in which to do it. If I was Manuel I’d be annoyed too.
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 4
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 160
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (160)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)