Mar 22, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Apparently Luis Castillo’s failure to report to the Phillies this morning was a misunderstanding. He thought he had all day today to report rather than to report in time to play in today’s game. Buster Olney says that he had some personal matters to attend to as well. It’s not like he blew the Phillies off.
Be that as it may, Charlie Manuel — while saying that he’s not upset — seems somewhat ticked about it. Todd Zolecki transcribed Manuel’s comments to the media about it earlier this morning — read it here — and says that Manuel “sounded agitated.” The blurb that has been tweeted around was Manuel saying that if it was him in Castillo’s shoes that he “would have been here two days ago.” The more telling thing to me is this:
I was told he’d be here today and I put him in the lineup. And the reason I put him in the lineup is because I wanted to see him play. Maybe I should wait and put my lineup in right at game time. That seems to work better.
It’s not a personal thing or a swipe at Castillo’s work ethic. Manuel seems content to leave that to others. Rather, it’s about a manager who has a hole to fill at second base and limited time in which to do it. If I was Manuel I’d be annoyed too.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)