Mar 22, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Apparently Luis Castillo’s failure to report to the Phillies this morning was a misunderstanding. He thought he had all day today to report rather than to report in time to play in today’s game. Buster Olney says that he had some personal matters to attend to as well. It’s not like he blew the Phillies off.
Be that as it may, Charlie Manuel — while saying that he’s not upset — seems somewhat ticked about it. Todd Zolecki transcribed Manuel’s comments to the media about it earlier this morning — read it here — and says that Manuel “sounded agitated.” The blurb that has been tweeted around was Manuel saying that if it was him in Castillo’s shoes that he “would have been here two days ago.” The more telling thing to me is this:
I was told he’d be here today and I put him in the lineup. And the reason I put him in the lineup is because I wanted to see him play. Maybe I should wait and put my lineup in right at game time. That seems to work better.
It’s not a personal thing or a swipe at Castillo’s work ethic. Manuel seems content to leave that to others. Rather, it’s about a manager who has a hole to fill at second base and limited time in which to do it. If I was Manuel I’d be annoyed too.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 0
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 2
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)