Charlie Manuel talks about Luis Castillo’s no-show

Mar 22, 2011, 12:00 PM EST

New York Mets v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Apparently Luis Castillo’s failure to report to the Phillies this morning was a misunderstanding. He thought he had all day today to report rather than to report in time to play in today’s game.  Buster Olney says that he had some personal matters to attend to as well.  It’s not like he blew the Phillies off.

Be that as it may, Charlie Manuel — while saying that he’s not upset — seems somewhat ticked about it.  Todd Zolecki transcribed Manuel’s comments to the media about it earlier this morning — read it here — and says that Manuel “sounded agitated.”  The blurb that has been tweeted around was Manuel saying that if it was him in Castillo’s shoes that he “would have been here two days ago.”  The more telling thing to me is this:

I was told he’d be here today and I put him in the lineup. And the reason I put him in the lineup is because I wanted to see him play. Maybe I should wait and put my lineup in right at game time. That seems to work better.

It’s not a personal thing or a swipe at Castillo’s work ethic. Manuel seems content to leave that to others.  Rather, it’s about a manager who has a hole to fill at second base and limited time in which to do it.  If I was Manuel I’d be annoyed too.

1. Jonny 5 - Mar 22, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Well, I guess that he just isn’t a Scrappy Gamer afterall now is he? Scrappy Gamers always show up to work early.

• cur68 - Mar 22, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Scrappy gamers are as prone to misunderstandings as a natural athlete. Or something. With that being said; t’was me I’da been there the second I knew I was signed. But then I’m a scrappy gamer. With extra grit.

2. thevandalen - Mar 22, 2011 at 1:43 PM

What, no ‘Uncle Cholly’ quote transcript? I came in here expecting one thing…

3. xmatt0926x - Mar 22, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Unreal. Some guys never get it. You get a chance to maybe latch on to a contender in what is likely your last season playing and all you do is confirm people’s negative thoughts about your bad habits. Maybe he has personal issues but he doesn’t get it. Get someone else to handle them especially when you know you don’t have the best of reputations. Some guys just belong with teams like the Mets for life.

• larryhockett - Mar 22, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Agreed. This is the best opportunity of the rest of his career (or what little is left of it). Maybe he had something else important to do but personally I think the list of things more important than reporting and busting your butt to make the team is one item long and begins with “Life” and and ends with “or death situation.”

4. aronmantoo - Mar 22, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Why the hell did the Phillies think the Mets let him go owing him 6 mill? Because he’s a scraper? Give me a break

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3282)
  2. J. Kang (3112)
  3. C. McGehee (2827)
  4. J. Upton (2813)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2810)
  1. D. Ross (2590)