Comment of the Day: Marcus Thames is no stiff

Mar 22, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT

Thames_Marcus

I’m still irked at T.J. Simers’ weapons-grade idiocy in his Marcus Thames column.  And a lot of what is animating that is something that I neglected to mention in the last post on it: Marcus Thames is a really, really nice guy.  I’ve never met him, but several reporters I know have talked about him being warm and friendly, as have several fans who have had the privilege to root for him or meet him.  No, he’s not a five-tool player. No, he’s not a superstar. But that’s kinda not the point.

A few minutes ago reader PierzynskiAteMyKitten — um, viva pseudonyms — posted his own Thames recollection:

Thames is a class act, and it’s painful to see him attacked like this.  While with the Tigers, he was always mentioned in the same sentence as Granderson as one of the truly good guys in baseball.

Here’s my little Thames anecdote: while he was rehabbing with the Toledo Mud Hens, I saw him play my local Durham Bulls.  It was a drizzly day, and I was one of the few fans in the stands, and one of even fewer to be dressed in full Tigers regalia near the Mud Hens dugout.  There was another family of Tigers fans near me, including several young kids, also in full Tigers gear.  Before the game, Thames came over and chatted with us for a while, and then gave the kids a boatload of gear, including a bat, balls, and batting gloves.  It was by far the coolest interaction I’ve ever had with a pro baseball player.

This is who Simers decided to belittle. This is who Simers decided to go after when he had a case of writer’s block.  I realize it’s hard for Simers, what with him having written nine entire items in the month of March so far, to come up with new material, but one would think that he’d choose a different target to attack when he felt the need.

1. mattintoledo - Mar 22, 2011 at 1:14 PM

How about this story, the link to which was available on wikipedia.org under Thames’ personal page? http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/22/sports/baseball/22thames.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print

2. seanmk - Mar 22, 2011 at 1:18 PM

plus thames was in the fantasyland movie about AL tout wars and the guy they followed while researching told him he was thinking of picking him. quite an awkward conversation but thames handled it pretty well

• Jeremy T - Mar 22, 2011 at 10:14 PM

that’s the first thing I thought of, too

3. jamie54 - Mar 22, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Thames has always been a class act and thank you for the link to his story. Simers should be ashamed of himself to slander someone in order to develop a ‘story’ for a column. Hack, indeed. Always was, always will be.

4. dodger88 - Mar 22, 2011 at 1:30 PM

It’s high time the Dodgers as a whole stop giving Simers the time of day. Individual players have refused to speak with him in the past but now the organization needs to send a strong messsage. If the LA Times won’t reign him in (preferably fire him) for poor journalism and regularly being a jackass, then the team should essentially do it for them as far as Dodger coverage is concerned.

• bigharold - Mar 22, 2011 at 4:14 PM

How long has this jerk been around? I’m dumb struck at what an overbearing jackass this guy is.

I wonder if he ever tried his half ass Don Rickles routine on the likes of Albert Bell? Something tells me no.

5. wickedworld123 - Mar 22, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Good for Thames for not taking the bait…I don’t think I could avoid spouting off if somebody wrote about me like that. This story only builds up Thames’ nice-guy credentials and makes Simers look like a complete jerkoff.

6. xmatt0926x - Mar 22, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Anyone surprised by a grossly negative and nasty column by Simers obviously has not read him enough. I’ve only read him about 10 times and I’ve always come away feeling that this is just a horrible person I just read. Just a nasty human being with no rules or standards. He makes Heyman look like a reasonable guy.

7. rollinghighwayblues - Mar 22, 2011 at 2:22 PM

You see, it’s not that hard for ballplayers who make tons of money to be compassionate to fans who love the game. Marcus could’ve been like majority of players and kept his rear inside to avoid the nasty weather but he came out there and made some kid’s day. That moment is certainly one that will stick with them for the rest of their life and I enjoy hearing about it. This definitely shouldn’t be a low occurring thing.

8. Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Mar 22, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Are we sure this is not former wrestler Virgil wearing a Dodgers jersey and cap?

9. thesexyburger - Mar 22, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Response from an email I sent Simers providing him with a different way to present that exact same question: Why is it necessary to sugar coat? In response you get an automatic pilot response_i ask the obvious question the way the guy at home would ask if not in awe of athletes

10. trevorb06 - Mar 22, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Finally found somebody worse than Heyman. At least Heyman gets ‘scoops’ Simers is just a jack wagon.

11. SmackSaw - Mar 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Here’s the response I got from Simers this morning

“I take people as they are in person and he didn’t measure up properly”

12. Utley's Hair - Mar 22, 2011 at 3:31 PM

As much as this guy seems to infuriate people—as evidenced by the comments on here—Craig actually gave him traffic and clicks, thereby somewhat legitimizing the crap he’s spewing. I didn’t go to the column for that very reason. That tool’s job is to get clicks and traffic to the site, and he did just that—unfortunately at the expense of a seemingly good guy who didn’t deserve the slam, as well as one who refused to take the bait. Good on you, Marcus.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Solid point – I’d love for every blogger to turn a blind eye to his bullcrap.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2967)