Mar 22, 2011, 8:50 AM EST
First thing this morning the lineup for today’s Phillies-Blue Jays game was posted, listing Luis Castillo as the second batter, playing second base. A few moments ago Castillo was scratched from the lineup because Castillo is not yet at Phillies camp in Clearwater.
Personally, I blame the lack of high speed rail in this country for his inability to make the long and arduous journey between Port St. Lucie — where he likely woke up yesterday morning — and Clearwater, in under 24 hours. Or perhaps his journey was impeded by highwaymen or other wicked and treacherous obstacles between the two towns. Either way, it’s a long 180 miles and to expect a man to travel such great distances in so short a time is to expect the impossible.
Auspicious beginning in red pinstripes, eh?
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 41
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 48
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)