Mar 22, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
You may have seen still photos of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in their “Bustin’ Babes” and “Larrupin’ Lous” barnstorming uniforms before, but the New York Times has a story — and some footage — of some film of them wearing the duds. Sadly it isn’t game action. They’re just hanging around. Ruth gets on the back of a pony. Gehrig holds a baby.
It’s not much, but it’s something. Until I read the article I never realized just how little actual footage of these guys exists. Apparently the Hall of Fame has only an hour’s worth of film of Ruth, and I assume that includes silly stuff like him sitting on the hood of a car, wearing that king’s crown and winking and what have you.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 52
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (87)