Mar 22, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
You may have seen still photos of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in their “Bustin’ Babes” and “Larrupin’ Lous” barnstorming uniforms before, but the New York Times has a story — and some footage — of some film of them wearing the duds. Sadly it isn’t game action. They’re just hanging around. Ruth gets on the back of a pony. Gehrig holds a baby.
It’s not much, but it’s something. Until I read the article I never realized just how little actual footage of these guys exists. Apparently the Hall of Fame has only an hour’s worth of film of Ruth, and I assume that includes silly stuff like him sitting on the hood of a car, wearing that king’s crown and winking and what have you.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)