Mar 22, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
You may have seen still photos of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in their “Bustin’ Babes” and “Larrupin’ Lous” barnstorming uniforms before, but the New York Times has a story — and some footage — of some film of them wearing the duds. Sadly it isn’t game action. They’re just hanging around. Ruth gets on the back of a pony. Gehrig holds a baby.
It’s not much, but it’s something. Until I read the article I never realized just how little actual footage of these guys exists. Apparently the Hall of Fame has only an hour’s worth of film of Ruth, and I assume that includes silly stuff like him sitting on the hood of a car, wearing that king’s crown and winking and what have you.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)