No, the Yankees aren’t interested in Oliver Perez

Mar 22, 2011, 9:11 PM EDT

Oliver Perez AP

Jon Heyman of SI.com reported yesterday that “Yankees people” discussed signing Oliver Perez. Turns out he wasn’t completely wrong.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York earlier today that while he looked into the idea, the club doesn’t currently have any interest.

“I was asked from above me just to look into it just to be certain, because we always look into everything,” Cashman said. “But it’s not something that right now makes much sense for us from everything we’ve seen. But like all these players it doesn’t mean he can’t find his way back over time.”

Wait a minute, did he just say “from above me”? Hmmm….

If the recent past is any indication, Perez should be on his way to Tampa sometime in the next 48 hours.

All in good fun, Yankees fans.

Some have speculated that Perez could reunite with Kevin Towers in Arizona, but it appears that won’t be happening, either. According to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, the Diamondbacks are not interested.

1. gammagammahey - Mar 22, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I get the feeling that Ollie’s going to be the highest-paid player in the Mexican League this year.

2. yankeesfanlen - Mar 22, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Oh well, DJ, at least a good time was had by all discussing this for the last 24 hours.
    I’m sure there are some exceptions, but typically the progression goes Yanks to Mets upon decline, not the other way around.There are variations too, such as NY boneyard in KC.

3. phukyouk - Mar 22, 2011 at 10:36 PM

NO OLLIE???? i concede the division to the sox.

4. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 22, 2011 at 10:43 PM

whats wrong with signing him to a minor league deal? he’s young, left handed, and was decent at one time, someone might fix his delivery and you catch lightening in a bottle. If not what do you lose? a minor league contract

5. pisano - Mar 23, 2011 at 12:20 AM

As much trouble as this guys had getting the ball over the plate and getting people out, a couple years ago he completely shut the Yankees down. I can’t remember if it was spring training , or inter league, but I’m leaning toward inter league. Go figure.

• uyf1950 - Mar 23, 2011 at 5:23 AM

My friend I believe it was May 2007. 2 earned runs in 7 2/3 innings, 5 strike outs, no walks. But that was a very long time ago. Almost, twenty eight years in dog years.

• uyf1950 - Mar 23, 2011 at 5:40 AM

Pixano, my friend. Wondering what you think about the following. Mitre, really stunk yesterday afternoon. Obviously, he killed whatever shot he had at the starting rotation. But do you think that there is a chance, however remote that he doesn’t head north with the team? That the Yankees actually opt for both Colon and Garcia with say Garcia as the long relief guy? Plus here is another thing for you to think about. Do you think again because of Mitre’s outing that the Yankees might give another look at say Ayala or even the prospect Pope as possible alternatives in that “long relief” spot? Food for thought, If you read this let me know what you think.

• pisano - Mar 23, 2011 at 9:18 AM

uyf1950… food for thought, The main thing Mitre has going for him is the manager. Joe has been Mitre’s biggest supporter since day one. To be honest with you I was surprised with his outing, I expected much more. Ayala is someone that has opened my eyes, but with all the relievers they have he will have to overly impress, but I feel he has a shot. Don’t give the typo a second thought it happens to us all.

• uyf1950 - Mar 23, 2011 at 5:42 AM

Pisano my friend. Sorry about hitting the “x” instead of the “s” when I typed your name. It’s very early and I guess my fingers can’t tell the difference. Anyway, please excuse the error.

6. fatcatt - Mar 23, 2011 at 1:55 AM

the media should be made to reveal their sources when breaking a story, Especially when their wrong. So sick of the bad info everyday. Because then another news organization reports it, like here. And a bunch of others. Then the readers discuss it and comment on it. And all for what? Nothing. Alot of people probably said bad things about people over this story. Its ridiculous these days. Everyone is so worried about being first. And then theirs no repercussions. The only professionals along with the weatherman who can report false information or be wrong on a semi-regular basis and get paid decent money for it. Start suspending their privledges for a week. If it happens again add to it. But Im sick and tired of wasting my time over bad info for someone who has only themselves in mind. I dont care who you are or what you may think of them its in all of them at least a little bit. A minimum of 2 sources for a story or it cant be reported. Thats easy eneough. Damn i hate the media. Sports was the one place u used to be able to get away from it all. But thats been lost for awhile now to.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3422)