Mar 22, 2011, 11:02 AM EDT
Yesterday’s dustup elicited another fun reaction from a Washington Nationals player, this time Adam LaRoche:
Cardinals starter Chris Carpenter had hit the Nationals’ Laynce Nix in the top of the inning in what the Nats believed was a response to outfielder Nyjer Morgan running into Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols.
“It’s very typical of playing these guys. I’ll leave it at that,” said Nationals first baseman Adam LaRoche. “I’ve played against them a lot. And for whatever reason, you run into this same situation.”
I haven’t kept close track, but I’d like to see a chart tracking brawls, plunkings and petulant little controversies against Chris Carpenter starts. My gut and a handful of vague memories tell me that there’s a correlation.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)