Quote of the Day II: Adam LaRoche slams the Cardinals

Mar 22, 2011, 11:02 AM EST

LaRoche_Adam

Yesterday’s dustup elicited another fun reaction from a Washington Nationals player, this time Adam LaRoche:

Cardinals starter Chris Carpenter had hit the Nationals’ Laynce Nix in the top of the inning in what the Nats believed was a response to outfielder Nyjer Morgan running into Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols.

“It’s very typical of playing these guys. I’ll leave it at that,” said Nationals first baseman Adam LaRoche. “I’ve played against them a lot. And for whatever reason, you run into this same situation.”

I haven’t kept close track, but I’d like to see a chart tracking brawls, plunkings and petulant little controversies against Chris Carpenter starts. My gut and a handful of vague memories tell me that there’s a correlation.

1. Panda Claus - Mar 22, 2011 at 11:32 AM

This comment alone has probably earned LaRoche a plunking later this season.

2. bcopus - Mar 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Wasn’t there a Chris Carpenter karate kick brawl last season?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 22, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Don’t be silly. It was a Brandon Phillips karate kick brawl.

3. paperlions - Mar 22, 2011 at 12:25 PM

If Carpenter was going to hit someone on purpose in response to the thing at 1st base, given his personality, he would have plunked Morgan…he wouldn’t have pitched to Morgan and then two batters later plunked Nix.

4. Brian Murphy - Mar 22, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Between comments from LaRoche and Ian Desmond, these Nats/Cardinals games may be pretty interesting this season.

5. thegoche - Mar 22, 2011 at 12:45 PM

It certainly does seem like the Cards tend to be pretty petulant and it doesn’t surprise me to see Pujols in the middle of it.

It boggles the mind to that Pujols generally has such a good reputation. He seems like he can be a real dick anytime he feels slighted.

(I remember him yelling into the Braves dugout from the field a few years ago. I don’t remember what the Braves did to piss him off, but just remember thinking, what is this guy’s problem. (I realize this story adds little to the conversation given it’s lack of memory, at this point I almost wish I hadn’t brought it up. (Nah, I’m going to keep it.)))

The biggest example is a few years ago when he was talking trash about the Cards scout who drafted him when the scout (who of course is extremely middle class and has spent his whole life traveling around watching crappy high school baseball games) was fired.

Pujols was asked about the guy and said something to the effect that the guy deserved to be fired because on a scouting report he wrote or something like that, he said that the question on Pujols was whether his bat would develop. Never mind that this guy believed in Pujols more than anyone on the other 29 teams that passed on him 12 times too.

I know he also does good things, and I’m saying he’s a bad guy (though it’s fair to say I don’t think much of him).

He just seems to have a bit of the Michael Jordan disorder (I mean the part about being cocky, insecure and bitter, not the part about being addicted to gambling).

You’d think the guy picked 402 overall who goes on to be easily the best player in baseball would be a little more reflective about how terrific his story is. Instead it seems like anyone who EVER thought he was less than the best can go to hell.

• grizz2202 - Mar 22, 2011 at 1:02 PM

“I think I remember (one time) this guy wrote something (somewhere) and anyways, it ends up that Pujols is a bad guy (not real bad (I mean he didn’t kill anyone [that I know of {unless he did}])). I mean, you ever notice you never see Pujols and Rae Carruth in the same place at the same time?? ({[]})”

1. You has a bias. The first step is admitting it.
      2. Pujols is currently the best.
      3. See step 1.
      4. Profit.

• thegoche - Mar 22, 2011 at 1:24 PM

“”He said I wasn’t going to make the big leagues. That’s why he got fired.”

“How can you draft a guy and say you don’t know if he’s going to make the big leagues? All of a sudden, the next year (I’m) in the big leagues, and he wants to take all the credit.”

I don’t have any more bias against Pujols/Cards than any other non-Braves. I’d be perfectly happy if he was a great guy. I hate the Yankees, but everyone knows Mariano Rivera is a good dude. I hate the Phillies but I think Halliday and Utley are amazing players and seem like good guys.

Also, I said Pujols is the best, he does some good things in the community and didn’t call him a bad guy. I just said he can be bitter and stirs shit up if he feels slighted.

6. jwbiii - Mar 22, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Sounds like a pretty Busch league move.

• hep3 - Mar 22, 2011 at 2:37 PM

And now we are sadder, Bud Weiser…….

7. Jonny 5 - Mar 22, 2011 at 3:37 PM

LaRussa is an a hole. That’s the moral of the story here folks…

8. thefalcon123 - Mar 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM

There was a game earlier last year when Carlos Lee hit a pop up off Carpenter and threw down his bat in frustration. Carpenter began yelling at him as Lee jogged up the first base line, presumably because Carpenter felt Lee was showing him up somehow by throwing down his bat in frustration. Lee was understandably pissed and Carpenter made some comment after the game that Lee shouldn’t have felt that he could hit that pitch well.

Some people call this being a “competitor” and having “that fire and drive to win”. I call it “being a huge dick”. This is the same guy when spent most of a nationally televised game yelling at Brenden Ryan for first being late out onto the field and then for not fielding a ground ball aprox. 700 feet to his left and is once alleged to have given Ryan Ludwick a black eye (which the Cardinals explained as “falling onto his suitcase” in true battered-wife fashion).

As a huge Cardinals fan, I’m a little saddened by this team. We got huge Jesus-freaks in Pujols, Molina, Berkman and Wainwright, drunky-McThirdbaseman David Freese, an all-heart/no-talent infield and a prima donna in center who hasn’t done nearly enough yet to be a prima donna. This team became waaaaaay less cool when Ludwick was traded.

9. cintiphil - Mar 25, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Not many people know the real story here except for the two teams. However I can say that in the old days, pitchers were expected to get even for anyone who tries to injure one of their guys. I guess the game has changed, but I am in support of any pitcher who stands up for his guys. Maybe he never even threw at Nix on purpose. You have to had been at the game to see what happened. I am willing to b egt that no one who wrote on the subject here, saw the game.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4787)
  2. M. Kemp (3786)
  3. M. Cabrera (2955)
  4. J. Kang (2952)
  5. J. Upton (2706)
  1. M. Morse (2654)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2409)
  3. C. McGehee (2348)