Scott Boras will be the keynote speaker at SABR convention

Mar 22, 2011, 2:25 PM EDT

Boras sulking AP

I’ve attended the annual Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) convention every summer since 2004, but often skip the awards luncheon because a) it’s awfully expensive for some mediocre chicken, b) sometimes there’s an actual baseball game going on at the same time, and c) if there isn’t an actual baseball game there’s definitely some drinking to be done.

My luncheon attendance also depends a lot on the keynote speaker. Marvin Miller and Jim Bouton were must-attends for me no matter the price, but some of the others haven’t really piqued my interest.

This year’s convention is in California and not surprisingly SABR has landed a big-name keynote speaker in agent Scott Boras, so I may have to attend simply because he’s been such a frequent topic here at Hardball Talk. Maybe he’ll even take some questions, in which case I can ask about his relationship with Jon Heyman or his current take on the wonderful Oliver Perez/Sandy Koufax comparisons. Or maybe even think of a worthwhile question. It’s not until July, after all.

Incidentally, I highly recommend going to the SABR convention. If you love baseball and hanging out for a few days with other people who love baseball, it’s tough to beat.

1. scatterbrian - Mar 22, 2011 at 3:28 PM

I’ve always been curious about this event, and this one is within walking distance from my house.

Aaron, how much of this open to the public, and which events would you recommend for a baseball junky who just wants to absorb and shoot the shit and isn’t trying to network?

2. Brian Murphy - Mar 22, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Sweet! Like scatterbrian, I am about five blocks away from the location. I definitely want to get in on this.

3. apbaguy - Mar 22, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Is everyone in Long Beach named Brian?

Or maybe just everyone in LB who follows HBT. I think Boras is a great “get” for the convention. You guys should be really entertained by his remarks. He’s fabulous at what he does, even if the casual fan’s opinion of him is borderline rabid.

It’s not the only time I’m envious of people living in SoCal, just the most recent. I’ll expect full reportage from you two.

• Brian Murphy - Mar 22, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Your first instinct is right, ap — every Long Beach resident is named Brian. It’s a little awkward for the female inhabitants.

• jwbiii - Mar 22, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Awkward? Nah. If they cry out the name of an ex-bf at an inopportune moment, it’s all good!

4. clydeserra - Mar 23, 2011 at 2:31 AM

I didn’t know Mom’s had basements in Long Beach.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet