Mar 23, 2011, 9:55 PM EDT
Orioles manager Buck Showalter isn’t usually one for trash talk, but, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the veteran skipper let some fellow members of the American League East have it in the April edition of Men’s Journal.
These quotes come without the questions that prompted them, but they’re pretty revealing anyway and worth discussing on some level.
First, Showalter on Red Sox GM Theo Epstein:
“I’d like to see how smart Theo Epstein is with the Tampa Bay payroll. You got Carl Crawford ’cause you paid more than anyone else, and that’s what makes you smarter? That’s why I like whipping their butt. It’s great, knowing those guys with the $205 million payroll are saying, ‘How the hell are they beating us?’ ”
And here’s Showalter on Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter:
“The first time we went to Yankee Stadium, I screamed at Derek Jeter from the dugout. Our guys are thinking, ‘Wow, he’s screaming at Jeter.’ Well, he’s always jumping back from balls just off the plate. I know how many calls that team gets – and yes, he [ticks] me off.”
Showalter managed the Yankees from 1992-1995 and those teams had awfully high payrolls, so it’s a little odd that he’d touch that topic. As for the Jeter thing? Sounds like he was probably attempting to fire up the down-and-out Orioles at the end of last season with all that shouting. This stuff is innocent.
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)