Brandon Morrow to begin season on disabled list with right forearm inflammation

Mar 23, 2011, 1:47 PM EST

Brandon Morrow

I’m not sure if this qualifies as a jinx, since I haven’t actually posted the article yet, but Brandon Morrow is one of my “breakout” picks for this season (along with, among others, Carlos Santana) and … well, the Blue Jays just announced that he’ll begin the year on the disabled list with right forearm inflammation.

It’s a tough break for a pitching staff that will likely also be without Frank Francisco and Octavio Dotel early on, and it’s doubly unfortunate because Morrow was dominant in the second half last season and looked ready to take the next step into ace territory.

Hopefully it proves to be a minor roadblock–John Lott of the National Post reports that Morrow may miss only one start–but in the meantime Toronto’s pitching depth will be tested and top prospect Kyle Drabek‘s odds of cracking the Opening Day rotation continue to rise.

1. proudlycanadian - Mar 23, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Ouch! Fortunately the Jays have other options.

2. spudchukar - Mar 23, 2011 at 1:53 PM

With RPZHWVDKYZPK having an awful Spring I thought Drabek had already secured the 5th starter role, but perhaps I am wrong. This would be a huge loss for the Jays. Morrow was poised to enter the elite conversation. Hopefully this isn’t serious but forearm inflammation is the primary indication of the dreaded TJ.

• Mark - Mar 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM

He’s struck out 11, walked 6, and allowed 0 home runs. That’s not an awful spring, and it’s pretty close to what you’d expect from him. He’s striking out nearly a batter per inning, he’s walking around 4-4.5 per 9, and he’s obviously got his sinker working because he hasn’t been hit for any homers.

Not that ST stats are remotely meaningful, but it’s worth pointing out he’s not having a bad spring. If anything, Romero’s looked awful this spring. But I’m not too worried about that.

3. cur68 - Mar 23, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Aaron; Stop. Please stop. I can’t bear it any more with all the Blue Jays pitchers on the DL. I’m making bold predications here, man. Guys are laughing at me when I say my team will be dominant. I need these guys to be out there performing, not polishing pine. Yeah, I know; you’re just the messenger, but mitigate a bit, man! He’s not seriously injured, nor is Fancisco or Dotel (are they? I’m not sure, but I’m living in a different dream than you). Just help me a bit! I gotta go bait some Yankee fans now. When I come back to this post I want to see a full retraction and some serious Blue Jay fan boying. That is all.

4. rotisguru - Mar 23, 2011 at 2:22 PM

And with that, my 20-team league season is dead. I had Morrow as a breakout as well. Was looking at 210 K’s this year. Morrow is Keyser Sose. Poof, and like that, he’s gone.

5. proudlycanadian - Mar 23, 2011 at 2:54 PM

You can relax now! The Toronto Star is also reporting that he is likely to only miss one start. Morrow was going to be on an innings (about 175 innings) count this season, so missing one start is no big deal. Before spring training there were even reports that he was likely to be skipped a couple of times. Given the innings limitation, there was little chance that he was ever going to get 210 k’s this year.

• cur68 - Mar 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Okay, thank you. I can take a breath now. Damn Gleeman and his accurate impartial reporting is gonna give me a heart attack…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5088)
  2. M. Kemp (3552)
  3. J. Upton (2812)
  4. J. Kang (2801)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2710)
  1. C. McGehee (2706)