Mar 23, 2011, 4:26 PM EST
Brian Wilson’s ability to pitch on opening day is in significant doubt after the Giants’ right-handed closer had his throwing session cut short Wednesday – his first time picking up a baseball since straining his left oblique six days earlier.
“It didn’t feel as good as we hoped, so we backed him off,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
Wilson’s bravado has receded as well, as he tells Baggarly that he won’t fight it if Bochy sticks him on the DL to begin the season.
It’s a long year. No one will remember it if he misses a couple of weeks in April. The key is to have him throwing gas in September and, hopefully, October. Makes sense to sit him now.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 13
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 63
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4