Brian Wilson’s throwing session cut short, Opening Day in doubt

Mar 23, 2011, 4:26 PM EST

Brian Wilson

Brian Wilson is one of the legions of players who have strained their obliques this spring, but the other day he said, no worries, he’d be ready for Opening Day.  Not so, according to Andrew Baggarly:

Brian Wilson’s ability to pitch on opening day is in significant doubt after the Giants’ right-handed closer had his throwing session cut short Wednesday – his first time picking up a baseball since straining his left oblique six days earlier.

“It didn’t feel as good as we hoped, so we backed him off,” Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.

Wilson’s bravado has receded as well, as he tells Baggarly that he won’t fight it if Bochy sticks him on the DL to begin the season.

It’s a long year. No one will remember it if he misses a couple of weeks in April.  The key is to have him throwing gas in September and, hopefully, October.  Makes sense to sit him now.

1. cur68 - Mar 23, 2011 at 4:49 PM

The new black strikes again…

• Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I need somebody to explain that “new black” thing to me. Craig said it yesterday in another oblique strain post. I don’t get it. Maybe something like this year’s oblique strain is last year’s hip problem or something? But other than that, I don’t get it.

• cur68 - Mar 23, 2011 at 5:44 PM

No problemo Utley’s Cheveux; has to do with the fashion industry. In haute couture black is always fashionable. Wanna sell a lot of little dresses? Color them black. Every fashion season someone tries to design something in a color that is as marketable as black. Hence it’ll be the “new black”. Boy, am I ever disturbed that I know that…

2. sportsdrenched - Mar 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM

Does that mean he can get back to wrapping presents for Opening Day?
    Make an apperance at an Opening Day Eve Service?

3. xmatt0926x - Mar 23, 2011 at 8:42 PM

On a positive note, this now gives him time to perfect his “look at me!! I’m wild and zany!!” act. Remember, crazy people don’t know they are crazy and they certainly don’t have to go out of their way to show you how crazy they are. It’s all wonderful marketing.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:42 AM

I wonder if the MLB 2K11 version of him will also get hurt.

5. macjacmccoy - Mar 24, 2011 at 2:52 AM

“It’s a long year. No one will remember it if he misses a couple of weeks in April” Thats a relief. I though the Phillies season was over already because the way there injuries have been reported on here.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5548)