Don Zimmer needs one more year to catch Connie Mack

Mar 23, 2011, 5:33 PM EDT

Don Zimmer, Evan Longoria

I knew Don Zimmer had been around a long, long time, but I hadn’t seen it put into such perspective before:

This season marks Zimmer’s 63rd consecutive year in professional baseball (major and minor leagues), and although baseball doesn’t keep track of longevity in both leagues, it’s likely that Zimmer’s streak is second only to legendary Connie Mack, a Hall of Famer who spent 64 consecutive seasons in pro ball, most of them managing the Philadelphia Athletics. Since 2004, Zimmer has been the Tampa Bay Rays’ senior baseball adviser.

Nice feature on a baseball institution by Tom Zucco.  Check it out.

1. aronmantoo - Mar 23, 2011 at 5:37 PM

I actually seen him play for the dodgers and Mets

2. fuggles7 - Mar 23, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Boots Day (formerly of the Expos) is getting up there as well (and one of my favourite players when I was growing up). This will be his 45th year in baseball, all on one-year contracts. http://kevinglew.wordpress.com/2010/09/25/ex-expos-%E2%80%93-whatever-happened-to-%E2%80%A6-boots-day/

3. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 23, 2011 at 6:09 PM

The Zim is one crazy son of a bitch, I just want to warm you fellas don’t ever get into
    a scrape with this old bastard, he knows all the long time tricks, you just ask Pedro about him.
    He will cut you and won’t even think twice.He straight up Olde G and the G ain’t for Gizza.

buh bye

4. jthammerstix - Mar 23, 2011 at 8:11 PM

I don’t speak Spanish or listen to hip hop sir

5. jthammerstix - Mar 23, 2011 at 8:13 PM

This guy wants to warm up fellas. Get some hot oil and perform a handy yo.

6. BC - Mar 24, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Wasn’t Leo Durocher in baseball for some insane amount of years as well?

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. C. Gonzalez (2333)