Mar 23, 2011, 3:00 PM EST
Whether it’s mechanical changes, good health after a long break or just because he got a good night’s sleep the night before, Yankees fans have to like this: Joba Chamberlain was throwing the ball 96 m.p.h yesterday, and was hitting his spots as he did it.
“This is the best I’ve felt in spring training,” Chamberlain said. “Usually, it’s halfway through the season when I’m throwing this hard. That’s a plus. Physically, I feel great, and mentally, I feel awesome. Those are two battles that are tough in spring training.”
There’s so much talk about the Yankees’ bullpen, and Chamberlain tends to be the fourth guy mentioned if he’s mentioned at all. If he’s on point like this once the season gets going, however, what is already being viewed as a strength for the Bombers will be an even greater one than a lot of people think.
And if you think that about 60% of the reason I posted this item was so that I could have an excuse to use this silly picture of Chamberlain, well, that’s where you’re right.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 30
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)