Mar 23, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
Whether it’s mechanical changes, good health after a long break or just because he got a good night’s sleep the night before, Yankees fans have to like this: Joba Chamberlain was throwing the ball 96 m.p.h yesterday, and was hitting his spots as he did it.
“This is the best I’ve felt in spring training,” Chamberlain said. “Usually, it’s halfway through the season when I’m throwing this hard. That’s a plus. Physically, I feel great, and mentally, I feel awesome. Those are two battles that are tough in spring training.”
There’s so much talk about the Yankees’ bullpen, and Chamberlain tends to be the fourth guy mentioned if he’s mentioned at all. If he’s on point like this once the season gets going, however, what is already being viewed as a strength for the Bombers will be an even greater one than a lot of people think.
And if you think that about 60% of the reason I posted this item was so that I could have an excuse to use this silly picture of Chamberlain, well, that’s where you’re right.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 215
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (215)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)