Mar 23, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
Luis Salazar is out of the hospital and on the mend following his awful injury in the Braves dugout a couple of weeks ago. Mark Bowman of MLB.com has both the story and video of Salazar talking about his recovery.
“I’d like to thank God that I’m talking to you guys and that I’m alive,” Salazar said. “God gave me a second chance in this world, and I’m going to take advantage of it. I really appreciate it.”
As you can see in the pic, he looks pretty good all things considered, with the area around his left eye swollen but not particularly awful looking. Kind of like a boxer the morning after a fight, actually. He’s able to drive and he’ll soon be rejoining the Braves minor leaguers as he takes the help of high-A Lynchburg.
Salazar has no recollection of what went down after the incident. The last thing he remembers was the ball hitting him and then nothing. Our brains get us into a lot of trouble, but they’re pretty good at protecting us too.
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 0
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)