Luis Salazar returns to Braves camp

Mar 23, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Luis Salazar

Luis Salazar is out of the hospital and on the mend following his awful injury in the Braves dugout a couple of weeks ago.  Mark Bowman of MLB.com has both the story and video of Salazar talking about his recovery.

“I’d like to thank God that I’m talking to you guys and that I’m alive,” Salazar said. “God gave me a second chance in this world, and I’m going to take advantage of it. I really appreciate it.”

As you can see in the pic, he looks pretty good all things considered, with the area around his left eye swollen but not particularly awful looking. Kind of like a boxer the morning after a fight, actually. He’s able to drive and he’ll soon be rejoining the Braves minor leaguers as he takes the help of high-A Lynchburg.

Salazar has no recollection of what went down after the incident. The last thing he remembers was the ball hitting him and then nothing.  Our brains get us into a lot of trouble, but they’re pretty good at protecting us too.

1. cur68 - Mar 23, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Man am I glad to see this. Luis should definitely go with the eye patch. He’d look so bada$$…

2. Jonny 5 - Mar 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM

He’s back quicker that it took Castillo to get to Phillies camp. Damn.

3. Chipmaker - Mar 23, 2011 at 4:11 PM

If he starts wearing an eyepatch, the Pirates would HAVE TO hire him.

4. JB (the original) - Mar 23, 2011 at 4:28 PM

It’s great to see him back. And the following is tongue cheek, and in no way is meant to belittle the injury he suffered.

Instead of the patch he could be like assorted movie villains and have some “bizzaro” glass eyes made up. One that looks like a baseball (with the stitching), maybe one with a little Braves tomahawk, etc.

• cur68 - Mar 23, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I like it; maybe a red one to give opposing batters the evil eye? You know, with a vertical pupil like a cat?

5. rapmusicmademedoit - Mar 23, 2011 at 8:02 PM

He looks like an olde g now………..

6. fdnymedic03 - Mar 24, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Good to see you back my Spanish brother!

7. baseballstars - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Hate that he lost his vision, but I’m also glad that he’s alive. It’s a reminder that no matter where you are on the field during batting practice, your primary focus of attention should be on the batting cage.

I wish him the best.