MLB releases the top 10 best selling jerseys

Mar 23, 2011, 10:32 AM EDT

Jeter Jersey

CNBC’s Darren Rovell reports that, for the first time, Major League Baseball has divulged the list of their top selling jerseys, by player.  He has a story about it here and then lists the top 10 in a slide show, which is somewhat annoying. For what it’s worth, Derek Jeter is, not surprisingly, the top seller. Joe Mauer is second. All of the top 10 are superstars like Albert Pujols, Roy Halladay and A-Rod.  There are no particularly young players on there, with Tim Lincecum being the baby of the bunch.

I find this interesting: seven of the top ten are white American guys, with A-Rod, Pujols and Jeter being the only Latino and/or black players.  That’s not exactly representative of the player pool at large. Does it say anything about player promotion? Fans’ discomfort with wearing jerseys of players of a different race or ethnicity? Does it mean nothing and suggest that I’m just looking for a fight?  Probably some of all of that, to be honest. But it is the kind of stuff I think is interesting.

For the record, I own no player-specific merchandise of any kind, but if I was going to buy a jersey I’d probably get a Jason Heyward one simply because he’s the guy I tend to be more of a fanboy of than anyone else.  I once wrote a post — which I can’t find at the moment — of what player’s jersey I’d buy if I had to buy one for each team. If I recall, it didn’t track at all closely with who the best or coolest player was for that team. It was rather idiosyncratic, actually.  I suppose fulfilling that dream would require a lot of custom orders, though, and that for most people, buying the jersey of a team’s superstar off the rack is a lot easier.

But please, if you happen to see a pre-made Ron Oester Reds jersey, please let me know.

1. The Baseball Idiot - Mar 23, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I’m a white guy and I have two replica MLB jerseys, and one is Lou Brock’s. The other is Frank White.

I have 8 replica Negro League jerseys.

I don’t think race has anything to do with it, myself.

Someone please delete the post above. I have to blame sobriety.

• Maxa - Mar 23, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Right, because the single datum which is your personal experience is sufficient to settle the question. Brilliant analysis.

• The Baseball Idiot - Mar 23, 2011 at 6:01 PM

You don’t interact with people well, do you?

• cur68 - Mar 23, 2011 at 6:41 PM

TBI: how does one get a hold of replica Negro League jerseys? I’m thinking of a Hank Aaron Indianapolis Clowns jersey. What are my odds on laying my grubby little paws on such a thing? I’ll still google it but I’d appreciate some first hand feedback.
        Thanks.

• The Baseball Idiot - Mar 23, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I got mine at a store somewhere, but don’t remember which one. It was in Atlanta or DC, but it was 10 years ago.

Try this site. They have everything you would want, and aren’t really that expensive. I got mine for $45 each, but that was a decade ago.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2011 at 4:28 PM

So…you typed the first comment when you were sober…?

• The Baseball Idiot - Mar 23, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Yes. Now I’ve fixed the problem.

• macjacmccoy - Mar 24, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Every Jersey I own is of a black player. Rollins, Howard, Vick, Westbrook, Maclin, Desean, Reggie White, Jerome Brown, Lavar Arrington, Randall Cunningham. I dont think 90% of people consider the color of the players skin when they buy a Jersey. But of that %10 percent I believe most of them are people of color. I have seen tons of white people wearing latino or african american players jerseys. I cant recall the last time if ever I’ve seen a black guy atleast in Philadelphia wearing anything other then a black players jersey. Seriously next time your at a ball game look around and you’ll see what Im talking about.

2. cowifornia - Mar 23, 2011 at 2:27 PM

In one breath you say how the jersey sales don’t reflect the player pool, assuming there is diversity among players. In the next breath, you say how jersey sales might reflect fans’ discomfort with wearing a foreign player, assuming that all fans are “white”.

3. cleareye1 - Mar 23, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Only white guys are slavish enough to wear another guys jersey in order to prove something.

Have the Dodgers been sold yet?

4. Utley's Hair - Mar 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM

You have friends who aren’t baseball fans? WTF?

5. macjacmccoy - Mar 24, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Man those Phillies Fans are horrible. Halladay, Utley, and Lee being 3,4 and 5 really proves GQ’s point. O ya Howard was 18 too.

6. fdnymedic03 - Mar 24, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Glad to see #2-Derek Jeter as the best selling jersey(again)…Only the best play for NY.

7. umrguy42 - Mar 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Well, I have no baseball jerseys proper, although I do have a Pujols tshirt. I *do* have two football jerseys, the first, with the iron-on numbers and such is a Torry Holt Rams one, and the second, Sam Bradford’s Rams jersey (a nice one, the Reebok replica with real sewed-on numbers and letters and stuff, at a surprisingly cheap $35 from Amazon last summer). I also have a Rams hoodie with Steve Jackson’s #39 on it.

Personally, I look for: a. Good player on my team, and preferably b. going to be with the team for a while (obviously, I’m worried about that Pujols tshirt!).

8. hedeya - Aug 30, 2011 at 4:15 AM

You can find the top 10 bestselling Sports wear at

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3739)