Mar 23, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
The Phillies really really need spring training to end. A couple days after Shane Victorino avoided disaster in an outfield collision, Roy Oswalt took a comebacker off the bat of Manny Ramirez a few minutes ago, knocking him to the ground.
He got up and walked off under his own power and seemed OK. Replays indicate that it hit his neck or shoulder, avoiding his head. Which is what everyone thought it hit in real time. Not that the neck is any better considering that it was a batted ball just below the ear that killed Mike Coolbaugh. At 60 feet, 6 inches, it doesn’t have to be a direct headshot to do damage.
In other news, whichever member of the Phillies found this little tiki and is keeping it in his locker, please return it to Vincent Price forthwith. And for God’s sake, don’t go surfing!
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)